lucasvegi

lucasvegi

Hello everyone, how are you?

I believe many of you may know me from the research I conducted on code smells/anti-patterns for Elixir, which was partially incorporated into the official Elixir documentation.

Currently, my Ph.D. advisor and I are investigating refactoring strategies for Elixir and cataloging them. For this reason, we need your help to identify which refactorings are most frequently performed in your Elixir systems and which ones bring positive impacts on maintainability, comprehensibility, and evolution of your Elixir code.

If you are interested in the quality of your code, could you please help us by answering this survey on refactorings? (it should take 20 minutes)(https://lucasvegi.github.io/Elixir-Refactorings/)

Thank you!

banner-tweet

Note: The complete catalog consists of 82 different refactoring strategies. However, each participant will be asked to respond to only a small portion of it, randomly selected. If you are interested in exploring all the refactorings, access the complete catalog.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

lucasvegi

lucasvegi OP

Thanks, @josevalim! I really do appreciate you having pinned the post!

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

Done.

Btw. re [Struct field access elimination] see:

https://github.com/DaTrader/extructure

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

I’m confused about the meaning of the ‘relevance’ metric in the survey. For example, consider this question:

[ Transform a body-recursive function to a tail-recursive**]**.
This refactoring aims to convert a body-recursive function into a tail-recursive one, thus improving runtime performance due to the tail-call optimization provided by BEAM. More details and code examples here: [LINK]

I believe that the relevance of this very much depends on the particular function (does making it tail-recursive decrease readability and how much?) and, most importantly, on the expected input (do we expect infinite recursion and having a memory leak, or do we expect at most 10 stack frames to be kept at any time?). What should be my answer to this?

lucasvegi

lucasvegi OP

Hello, I understand your question. In fact, the relevance of a refactoring may depend on the application scenario, as you said.

I recommend that answers are always based on the worst case that the developer has experienced or is aware of someone having experienced. In this specific refactoring, as you said, it could be an infinite recursion, memory leak, etc.

In short, think something like this: “In general, can this bring me more advantages or not?”… The more advantage, the closer to 5.

lucasvegi

lucasvegi OP

For those who haven’t answered our survey yet, professor @adolfont made a short video showing our survey inside and how easy it is to answer it!

lucasvegi

lucasvegi OP

I would like to thank the great number of devs who have already participated in our survey. For those who have NOT yet participated and are interested, we will collect responses until April 3rd at 11:59 PM (UTC-3).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews