nrrso

nrrso

Hi everyone! :honeybee:

I’m excited to introduce SwarmEx — a lightweight, Elixir-based library designed for orchestrating AI agents with control, flexibility, and ease. Inspired by OpenAI’s Swarm Python library, SwarmEx provides core tools to help developers create, coordinate, and manage AI agent networks.

Why SwarmEx?

SwarmEx was built to make agent orchestration in Elixir not just effective but enjoyable. Whether you’re managing complex workflows, handling specialized agents, or developing autonomous systems, SwarmEx gives you a straightforward framework with:

  • Seamless tool integration for custom tasks
  • Observability through built-in telemetry (WIP)
  • Robust error handling for dependable fault tolerance (WIP)
  • A streamlined developer experience

SwarmEx isn’t a one-to-one implementation of the OpenAI Swarm library but is inspired by its core ideas.

Getting Started

Installing SwarmEx is as easy as adding it to your mix.exs dependencies:

def deps do
  [
    {:swarm_ex, "~> 0.1.0"}
  ]
end

For a practical introduction, check out the following Livebook, where you can explore how to set up and interact with agents in real time:

Run in Livebook

Documentation & Feedback

Full documentation is available on Hexdocs. I would love to hear your feedback, ideas, or use cases! Feel free to open issues, submit PRs, or simply reach out.

Please keep in mind: SwarmEx is in alpha and rough around the edges but already usable.

Thanks, and looking forward to your feedback and ideas,
Norris

https://github.com/nrrso/swarm_ex

Showing Posts 3 to 1

nulltree

nulltree

Oh, absolutely! The actor model/message passing lends itself quite naturally to agents.

I experimented with a graph-based structure some weeks ago akin to LangGraph, it was fascinating how easy Elixir made it.

Will keep an eye on your lib :slight_smile:

nrrso

nrrso OP

Thanks! I think that elixir lends itself very well for certain ML use-cases, like in the case of LLM agents. Sadly because of lacking tooling in the ecosystem we have a chicken and egg problem right now. And as always in the elixir community, beginner friendly material that is up to date is rare as well.

I am planning to add additional livebook’s with some more complex examples that mirror some examples of the openai/swarm repo. Sadly a day has only 24 hours :slight_smile:

Yeah, second post is not from me. Just flagged it as Spam / Off-Topic.

nulltree

nulltree

Nice, thanks for a cool contribution to the ecosystem - hope I find the time to check it out soon!

Btw I assume the second message is not you again, but a AI generated summary of your post of a newly registered user/bot? :smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews