cblavier
Hi there,
I’m doing some computation on loads of Postgres data and I’m in the situation where I have two streams of data (Repo.stream/2) coming from different tables that I would like to merge into a single output stream containing the computed values.
What would be the best approach?
Thanks for your help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
Compute them within DB if possible?
dimitarvp
Do both streams yield exactly the same amount of records?
cblavier
No they don’t, both of my streams return different amount of records.
But all entries have a date key, and since I need to compute day by day, my idea was to chunk the streams (using
Stream.chunk_bydate by date) which should give me approximately the same amout of records (one per day, but it’s possible that some days have only data in one of the streams)cblavier
That could be an idea.

But regarding the complexity of the processing, I would get an unmaintainable piece of s…QL
If possible, I’d prefer to stick with Elixir stream APIs
dimitarvp
Depends how certain you are on this point.
If I were you, I’d devise a temporary record type in the DB that will describe things in the lane of “this piece of data has 7 out of all 10 pieces that it needs to be complete” and just process both streams independently.
benwilson512
What does merging these streams mean then? Are they put end to end? Intermixed? If intermixed, according to what criterion?
cblavier
I’m doing some maths between both stream entries.
I think I finally found the way to go using Flow library, especially with Flow — Flow v1.2.4
It will help me to join my streams and also to improve performance by leveraging on multiple cores. I will let you know how that finally turned out!
cblavier
It finally worked as intended! I had hard times to produce a reliable Flow Stream from my Ecto query, but then the Flow stuff is just pure delight
Here is the join code:
See this thread for the producer: Code review for an Ecto GenStage Producer