Doerge

Doerge

Hey everybody,

I get a response from a (pretty funky) API, and am trying to decode it with HTTPoison.
It fails with something like this:

{:error,
 %Poison.ParseError{
   data: " { \"config\": ...",
   skip: 86293,
   value: "\\ud83d"
 }}

Toying around with it in IEx also doesn’t work:

iex(1)> tmp = "\ud83d"
** (SyntaxError) iex:1:8: invalid or reserved Unicode code point \u{d83d}. Syntax error after: \u

I’m not really sure how to proceed from here.
How can I clean up my string from invalid code points before decoding it? It’s ok for me to just drop the invalid ones, but I would like to keep the valid ones.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

03juan

03juan

You could sanitise the raw response with Enum.reduce before trying to decode it, dropping each value that results in an incorrect codepoint.

Doerge

Doerge OP

I don’t know which ones are invalid, so I don’t really know which ones to drop?
Is there an allow-list of valid ones builtin somewhere?

Doerge

Doerge OP

I realize that a single code point might not be meaningful in itself. Here is an actual value from the API response that also fails in IEx:

iex(1)> "\ud83d\udccd FooBar"
** (SyntaxError) iex:1:2: invalid or reserved Unicode code point \u{d83d}. Syntax error after: \u

The response is a Javascript block. The above should be this emoji:
https://charbase.com/1f4cd-unicode-round-pushpin

I guess Javascript uses a different codepoint set, than Elixir? How do I tell Elixir or Poison to use Javascript’s?

03juan

03juan

That is a good question. Looks like String.chunk/2 is a good place to start to weed out invalid UTF8 characters. This section of the docs gives some more information. String — Elixir v1.20.2

As for emoji code points, there might be a library that can help with that but unfortunately this is as far as my knowledge extends on the subject.

I don’t think emoji fall into the official unicode spec, that may be part of the issue.

edit:

If you don’t want to keep the emoji at all then a simple Enum.filter(raw, &String.valid?/1) should do the trick?

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

\ud83d is a Unicode “surrogate pair” character; it’s normally followed by another character of the \uDxxx variety to represent a character above \uFFFF in UTF-16 systems. If there’s one in the text by itself (a “lone surrogate”) that string can’t be represented in UTF-8 at all and is invalid.

Jason can parse these (when they are paired):

iex(livebook_ky4n2p4p@Matts-MacBook-Pro-2)22> {:ok, decoded} = Jason.decode("{\"foo\":\"\\uD83D\\uDE04\"}")
{:ok, %{"foo" => "😄"}}

But oddly, doesn’t produce them:

iex(livebook_ky4n2p4p@Matts-MacBook-Pro-2)23> {:ok, encoded} = Jason.encode(decoded)
{:ok, "{\"foo\":\"😄\"}"}
iex(livebook_ky4n2p4p@Matts-MacBook-Pro-2)24> String.to_charlist(encoded)
[123, 34, 102, 111, 111, 34, 58, 34, 128516, 34, 125]
Doerge

Doerge OP

Thanks for explaining, and pointing me to Jason! It works perfectly!

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Emoji are definitely part of the Unicode specification.

03juan

03juan

Yes that was an ignorant statement from my part from lack of research. Thanks for the correction.

DidactMacros

DidactMacros

Old thread, but I encountered a somewhat adjacent issue with my file names. Character encodings over 1418 aren’t represented as their string forms, and you get a boxed question mark instead or a boxed question mark with a space, and character encodings over 553295 (553_295) cause a codepoint error with string conversion attempts.

(Maybe this is due to something that needs to be installed/configured on my computer?)

I had to filter out character lists with such encodings (ones over 553295) when passing :file.dir_list output elements to File.dir? because this function first converts character lists to strings, however lower encodings were still usable, even though they didn’t have distinct string representation.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

It’s difficult to narrow down what could be causing this because there are a lot of suspects:

  • the font your terminal program uses
  • the terminal program
  • the compiler options used to build the BEAM
  • the shell’ls character set settings
  • the operating system’s character set settings
  • the operating system’s implementation of the filesystem APIs

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews