sribe

sribe

Is there a fairly direct way to get from System.cmd a stream which when enumerated will return the command output line by line?

:into IO.stream()

Just echos output to stdout as it comes in. It seems that I can get what I need by either creating a process to receive output and using receive there, or dropping down to Erlang and using a port directly. But I’m wondering if there is some higher-level support for this which I am missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

fuelen

fuelen

:into parameter accepts Collectable.t(), so you can use an empty list:

> System.shell("echo hello; sleep 1; echo world; sleep 1; echo end;", into: [])
{["hello\n", "world\n", "end\n"], 0}

or create a custom struct and implement Collectable protocol for it.

sribe

sribe OP

> System.shell("echo 1; echo 2; echo 3", into: [])
{["1\n2\n3\n"], 0}

Sleeping between every line of output doesn’t cut it :wink:

(Especially not for System.cmd where I specifically want a stream of lines from 1 OS process.)

c4710n

c4710n

As far as I know, there’s no more higher-level abstractions in Elixir itself.

You have to:

  • use Port directly
  • or, some external packages, like porcelain

Personally, I prefer using Port directly, you can get more examples at:

I’m not sure about the context of your requirements. But personally, I always lean towards small and sufficient implementations rather than large and comprehensive ones. From that perspective, a simple Port wrapper is sufficient.

fuelen

fuelen

This is the default behaviour of port.
You have to explicitly pass {line, L} option, but this requires more work to be done, as L is a maximum length of line, so you have to deal with :noeol messages.
It is far easier to apply String.split/3 to split the string by \n

sribe

sribe OP

Yep. I’ve gone through the source for System.cmd and the documentation for port, and I see how to do it that way. I’m thinking some support in System.cmd for a couple more port options might be useful. For the moment I’ll deal with the “one chunk” return, and circle back to optimizing later–and see if I think it would be useful to make a PR against System.cmd.

sribe

sribe OP

I note that L can be 0. Does that imply no limit? Docs don’t say what it means; I will test later when I have time. If it does, that’s ideal for this use.

Gulping millions of lines into a string and then splitting works, but the point of streaming by line is to avoid unnecessarily building a humongous stream.

akash-akya

akash-akya

Gulping millions of lines into a string and then splitting works, but the point of streaming by line is to avoid unnecessarily building a humongous stream.

This is actually how the ports are implemented (and hence System.cmd). Internally, port just reads everything that is available on the stdout buffer and send it as a message to the calling process, it does not wait for the caller to consume. Also, the config {line, L} how the output is delivered to calling process not how it is read into VM. So if your external program producing a lot of output in short amount of time then it still can get accumulated in your beam vm memory irrespective of the line limit config.

You can test it out in iex with observer.

iex(1)> :observer.start
:ok
iex(2)> Port.open({:spawn_executable, "/bin/cat"}, [{:args, ["/dev/random"]}, {:line, 100}, :binary, :use_stdio])
#Port<0.5>

For most of the use case, it is not a big issue. If it is, then there are third party libraries which solves in different ways.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews