mcarvalho
What is the difference between System.get_env and Application.get_env? For example, what are best practices to use one versus another.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
System.get_env/3gets from the system environment, whileApplication.get_env/3gets from the applications environment.The first is defined by the means of your operating system, while the later is mostly configured during build using the file(s) in
configand local to your application.The application environment is described in the docs: Application — Elixir v1.20.2
The system-environment is not, since it is not any part of elixir or the BEAM. It’s just there…
mbuhot
My rule of thumb is to only use
System.get_envduring application initialization, eg in yourApplication.start,Repo.init,Endpoint.initcallbacks.Once the application is initialized, the environment should always be queried by
Application.get_env, sinceSystem.get_envcan only return strings.I like the
dev/testenvironment to be statically defined in the config.exs files, only reading from the system environment forprodbuilds.zenw0lf
Replies above explain the difference between
Application.get_envandSystem.get_env.As for best practices, have a look at this: Configuration Demystified | Blog · Elixir School
pmarreck
The documentation for these should make it much clearer whether these values are read just once at build time, or every time at runtime. (I’m having to do some extra googling to figure this out, when I could have had the answer already.)
LostKobrakai
The documentation can’t do that, because that depends on where those functions are called, not which function is called.
pmarreck
Ah… good point. a value retrieval is a value retrieval, whether it happens once (at build) or many times (at runtime) depends on the caller. Of course.