dojap

dojap

Have any of you compared MySQL vs PostgreSQL resource usage in your Phoenix app? I would go with Postgres but I am afraid that because my site is mostly about reads (MySQL is better here) and less about writes (Postgres is better here) Postgres would be a bad choice. Also, apparently Postgres is much more RAM hungry and spawns more processes and MySQL can handle more connections with the same amount of RAM.

But this is only stuff I read, I have no real world experience with this.

Have any of you tested both MySQL and Postgres with your Phoenix app? What were the results?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hauleth

hauleth

Until you grow to the size, where you will be able to hire someone to handle that for you, then you will probably do not see any difference.

It is hard to tell what will work better in your particular use case, so you will need to do benchmarking on your own. However I think that you will still see no difference, and if so, it will be indistinguishable from noise.

dojap

dojap OP

This is from here: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: 9 key criteria to drive your database decision

PostgreSQL starts a new process with its own memory allocation for each connection it establishes, so it requires a lot of memory on systems with a high number of client connections. MySQL uses a single process and maintains one thread (or path of execution) per connection, which results in less memory pressure.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

In most sane environments there is a connection pool so the number of connections are bounded. The per process in PG overhead is not a big deal.

If I have to some layman comparison between PG and MySQL I would say that PG is more dev friendly, and MySQL is more ops friendly.

dojap

dojap OP

Thanks, I think I will go with MySQL then.

The scaling in the future factor is a huge plus of MySQL.

Also Uber went back to MySQL from Postgres. So, if MySQL can handle Uber it will be ok for me, I guess. MySQL also seems to be better configured for common web usage out of the box.

Postgres seems to need much more research and learning how to configure stuff out of the box.

The advantage of being able to embed Postgres with my app because of it’s liberal license is not important for me because it’s a web service hosted on a server and not a stand alone program. So, the MySQL license is ok for me for my web project meaning the SaaS is what I am after anyway.

Also, again, MySQL seems to be focused on web usage a lot, meaning much more reads than writes, as mentioned here: PostgreSQL vs MySQL: The Critical Differences | Integrate.io

PostgreSQL is known to be faster while handling massive data sets, complicated queries, and read-write operations. Meanwhile, MySQL is known to be faster with read-only commands.

Perhaps some realtime data input recording would be a better case for Postgres, I think in my case MySQL is the better option. 98 - 99% of everything in my service will be reads, only a tiny fraction will be writes to the database.

hauleth

hauleth

This shouldn’t be a problem until you really grow.

Because for their particular use it was better. And their usage was quite specific as they are basically using DB as a KV store.

It also could handle Google. On the other hand Heat, Algolia, Netflix, Instagram, etc. use PostgreSQL. Using some piece of technology just because “X uses it and it works for them” isn’t wise. It is following trend, which isn’t always good thing.

I am on the PostgreSQL side, mostly because of it broader support for the SQL standard and also some useful things that make life much easier. For example tuple comparisons, support for array columns, better support for CTEs, more index types, better defaults, better UTF-8 support, etc.

Then maybe you do not need DB at all, and instead, for example, single file that would be loaded into memory would be better solution?

dojap

dojap OP

For example tuple comparisons, support for array columns, better support for CTEs, more index types, better defaults, better UTF-8 support, etc.

Thanks. I am curious in this part. I will now read about the utf8 support you linked, but could you explain the other things, or link to explanations if you don’t have time to explain that? Thank you.

Then maybe you do not need DB at all, and instead, for example, single file that would be loaded into memory would be better solution?

My web is using relationships, I use joins. Table structure is perfect for me. I think in tables. One file would be weird. Especially with that amount of data present there.

Also, isn’t the MySQL or Postgres DB loaded in the memory as well? For example, the more DBs I have and use the more RAM the mysql/postgres is using on my computer.

focused

focused

Maybe try Clickhouse for high speed “selects”, it is very very fast for reads; updates and deletes (mutations) not designed for frequent use. It has Ecto support, but I did not try it, I wrote plain SQL queries in my service.

dojap

dojap OP

Wow, thanks for the tip. Why isn’t this Clickhouse DB more widely known and promoted? Is there a catch? Can you recommend some nice summary or presentation on Youtube about this DB?

focused

focused

It is useful primarily for stats and analytics, when you collect and insert user data, and later read it for analysis, but you may use it for any kind of content that requires often reads and almost no updates/deletes. Sorry, I don’t know any presentation or video.

This is how I used it in my microservice:

  1. user visits some content like posts or comments or other users’ profiles - inserts;
  2. later user opens his history with paginated ids and types of content he visited in past (pagination param is a timestamp) - selects;
dojap

dojap OP

Thanks. Great. Does Ecto support Clickhouse DB?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews