AstonJ

AstonJ

Just noticed Tailwind 4 has been released:

Tailwind CSS v4.0 is an all-new version of the framework optimized for performance and flexibility, with a reimagined configuration and customization experience, and taking full advantage of the latest advancements the web platform has to offer.

  • New high-performance engine — where full builds are up to 5x faster, and incremental builds are over 100x faster — and measured in microseconds.
  • Designed for the modern web — built on cutting-edge CSS features like cascade layers, registered custom properties with @property, and color-mix().
  • Simplified installation — fewer dependencies, zero configuration, and just a single line of code in your CSS file.
  • First-party Vite plugin — tight integration for maximum performance and minimum configuration.
  • Automatic content detection — all of your template files are discovered automatically, with no configuration required.
  • Built-in import support — no additional tooling necessary to bundle multiple CSS files.
  • CSS-first configuration — a reimagined developer experience where you customize and extend the framework directly in CSS instead of a JavaScript configuration file.
  • CSS theme variables — all of your design tokens exposed as native CSS variables so you can access them anywhere.
  • Dynamic utility values and variants — stop guessing what values exist in your spacing scale, or extending your configuration for things like basic data attributes.
  • Modernized P3 color palette — a redesigned, more vivid color palette that takes full advantage of modern display technology.
  • Container queries — first-class APIs for styling elements based on their container size, no plugins required.
  • New 3D transform utilities — transform elements in 3D space directly in your HTML.
  • Expanded gradient APIs — radial and conic gradients, interpolation modes, and more.
  • @starting-style support — a new variant you can use to create enter and exit transitions, without the need for JavaScript.
  • not-* variant — style an element only when it doesn’t match another variant, custom selector, or media or feature query.
  • Even more new utilities and variants — including support for color-scheme, field-sizing, complex shadows, inert, and more.

Anyone used it yet?

There’s a PragProg book on Tailwind (Modern CSS with Tailwind Book Club!) are there any other Tailwind learning resources worth a look?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

l00ker

l00ker

I was pleasantly surprised see that the v4.0 docs now have a Framework Guides section that includes Phoenix - Install Tailwind CSS with Phoenix.

:tada:

16
Post #1
JacobAlexander

JacobAlexander

Unfortunately, Tailwind Framework Guides is incorrect for Phoenix and not working :slight_smile:
You should follow the guide from the forum about beta integration.
And what about v4 ? It is nice, simpler to use because of pure CSS, but also I feel like we lost that simplicity in configuration.

stryderjzw

stryderjzw

I’m newer to Phoenix. When will Phoenix consider upgrading Tailwind v4 as a default?

wceolin

wceolin

They’re working on it.

stryderjzw

stryderjzw

Amazing!

AstonJ

AstonJ OP

Just hit DT:

Tailwind has laid off 75% of their team

But the reality is that 75% of the people on our engineering team lost their jobs here yesterday because of the brutal impact AI has had on our business. And every second I spend trying to do fun free things for the community like this is a second I’m not spending trying to turn the business around and make sure the people who are still here are getting their paychecks every month.

Traffic to our docs is down about 40% from early 2023 despite Tailwind being more popular than ever. The docs are the only way people find out about our commercial products, and without customers we can’t afford to maintain the framework. I really want to figure out a way to offer LLM-optimized docs that don’t make that situation even worse (again we literally had to lay off 75% of the team yesterday), but I can’t prioritize it right now unfortunately, and I’m nervous to offer them without solving that problem first.

https://github.com/tailwindlabs/tailwindcss.com/pull/2388

May also be of interest: Godfather of AI: "You Have No Idea What's Coming" (Interview) - #20 by AstonJ

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

LLM will not buy their commercial products, so I am not sure docs optimized for LLM can achieve anything. By the way, the Tailwind’s doc is top notch; I still read their doc even after I stopped using Tailwind.

Lucassifoni

Lucassifoni

I don’t have an opinion on whether this will take off, because micropayments for content consumption has been tried a hundred times before and mostly failed, but there is an initiative to leverage HTTP 402 and LLM-access to wallets to enable exactly this.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

According to Adam’s podcast:

The “75% of the team” refers to 3 people. In other words, they have exactly one engineer left.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews