KoeusIss

KoeusIss

I have a list of events coming from an event bus let’s assume the form like this:

%ProcucerEvents{
  id: 1, 
  events: [
    %Event{id: 1, payload: %{#something}, 
    %Event{id: 2, payload: %{#something}, 
    %Event{id: 3, payload: %{#something}, 
    %Event{id: 4, payload: %{#something}, 
    %Event{id: 5, payload: %{#something}
  ]
}

And I need to process each event separately through a pipeline of actions might look like this:

@pipeline [Decode, Perform, Encode, Send]

def handle_event(%ProcucerEvents{events: events}, pipeline \\ @pipeline) do
    events
    |> Task.async_stream(&process_event(&1, pipeline))
    |> Enum.to_list()
end

def process_event(event, pipeline) do
  Enum.reduce(pipeline, event, fn action, acc -> apply(action, :call, acc) end)
end

My question here is how to take control of the Task.async_stream returned list so I can push a fail reason to the response, or at least to be able to catch failure of one of the pipeline steps. so for example if Decode step return {:error, :something_happened} the Task_stream will still return a successful tuple [ok: :something_happened, ok: ...]
I can reduce the returned tuple to filter only successful passes based on the returned key. But I’m asking if there’s a clean way to do it. Tried to raise an exit_trap flag but I couldn’t figure out a way to have it.
I’ll appreciate any suggestion please.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

zachallaun

zachallaun

IMO the place to handle this is in your reducer. Each step of your pipeline should return {:ok, acc} or {:error, reason}.

def process_event(event, pipeline) do
  Enum.reduce_while(pipeline, event, fn action, acc ->
    case apply(action, :call, acc) do
      # happy case, continue processing
      {:ok, acc} ->
        {:cont, acc}

      # sad case, halt processing
      {:error, reason} ->
        {:halt, {:error, reason}}
    end
  end)
end

This doesn’t necessarily change the result of your async stream – that :ok is indicating that the async operation completed without crashing.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Reading into your example, are you sure that all the steps in the pipeline should be done in parallel? To me it doesn’t sound like you’d want to do sending before encoding.

My point is, it doesn’t look like Task.async_stream is the right tool for the job.

KoeusIss

KoeusIss OP

Sorry, @dimitarvp, may be It wasn’t clear. but I meant that event should be processed in parallel. but the actions in the pipeline will still be sequential.

KoeusIss

KoeusIss OP

@zachallaun Thank you for your response, That’s exactly what I was doing except the example in the initial topic was simplified.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Ah, sorry, I misread the code (the function capture got me). My bad.

lud

lud

Doesn’t it return {:ok, {:error, :something_happened}} though?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews