preciz

preciz

Talán - probabilistic data structures

Talán is a Hungarian adverb meaning: maybe, perhaps, probably.

This library currently has 3 probablistic data structures:

  • A bloom filter (inspired by the blex library but with a few more features.
  • A counting bloom filter
  • A probabilistic linear counter for cardinality estimation

All the above are built on :atomics for concurrent accessibility and speed.

GitHub: GitHub - preciz/talan: Probabilistic data structures (bloom filter / counting bloom filter / linear counter) · GitHub
Hex: talan | Hex

Talan.Stream.uniq/2

The library also contains a module called Talan.Stream which has a uniq/2 function.
With this you can build probabilistically uniq streams.

list = ["a", "b", "c", "a", "b", "c"]

bloom_filter = Talan.BloomFilter.new(100_000, false_positive_probability: 0.001)

Talan.Stream.uniq(list, bloom_filter) |> Enum.to_list
["a", "b", "c"]

The stream never returns duplicate elements but it sometimes detects false positive duplicates depending on the bloom filter it uses. False positives are faulty duplicate detections that get rejected.

Talan.BloomFilter

  • Fixed size Bloom filter
  • Concurrent reads & writes
  • Custom & default hash functions
  • Merge multiple Bloom filters into one
  • Intersect multiple Bloom filters into one
  • Estimate number of unique elements
  • Estimate current false positive probability

Examples

iex> b = Talan.BloomFilter.new(1000)
iex> b |> Talan.BloomFilter.put("Barna")
iex> b |> Talan.BloomFilter.member?("Barna")
true
iex> b |> Talan.BloomFilter.member?("Kovacs")
false

Talan.CountingBloomFilter

This is based on the BloomFilter module and adds a custom sized counter for every bit.

Counting bloom filters support probabilistic deletion
of elements but have higher memory consumption because
they need to store a counter of N bits for every bloom filter bit.

Examples

cbf = Talan.CountingBloomFilter.new(10_000)
cbf |> Talan.CountingBloomFilter.put("hat")
cbf |> Talan.CountingBloomFilter.put("hat")
cbf |> Talan.CountingBloomFilter.put("phone")
cbf |> Talan.CountingBloomFilter.count("hat")
2
cbf |> Talan.CountingBloomFilter.count("phone")
1

Talan.Counter

Linear probabilistic counter implementation for cardinality estimation.

Examples

c = Talan.Counter.new(10_000)
c |> Talan.Counter.put(["you", :can, Hash, {"any", "elixir", "term"}])
c |> Talan.Counter.put(["you", :can, Hash, {"any", "elixir", "term"}])
c |> Talan.Counter.cardinality()
1
c |> Talan.Counter.put("more")
c |> Talan.Counter.cardinality()
2

Feedback is welcome. :wave:

(I would like to also mention that I’m looking for employment, if you are an employer or your company is hiring I would be happy to talk with you. PM me. Thank you!)

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews