Talk about how push notifications can enrich user experience

I am looking for a talk I watched on youtube (maybe through this forum), about why in modern web apps disabling push notifications does not make sense, and it included a plea to Mozilla (and other major browser developers) to please not make disabled push notifications their default.

The talk I am looking for was in front of a fairly big crowd, some major programming convention maybe - but as always, if you know something that does not quite fit the description but you think is interesting, please hit me!

Thanks in advance

I know it’s not what you ask for, still… Most of the people that are behind the sentences like in modern web apps disabling push notifications does not make sense seem to not understand that crushing majority of people using all those applications want to have a choice, they want to be able to opt in into all that crap. Now when it comes to, for example majority of the US businesses I’m at their mercy when it comes to be able to opt out. Stuff like GDPR exist for a reason. And did remove some of mobile apps I was interested in because I wasn’t able to opt out from the push notifications (other than on a system level). IMHO when it comes to browsers making push notifications enabled by default does not make any sense at all, when majority of users don’t want any push notifications at all from majority of websites they are visiting.

While from developer perspective, push notifications enabled by default may make sense, it does not from a user perspective. And “users” and not “devs” are those that browser makers have to make happy if they want to earn money.

PS. I’m really interested in that talk to, because I’m wondering what arguments are behind this insane statement in modern web apps disabling push notifications does not make sense.

1 Like

… though that doesn’t stop the actual abuse.