Raees678

Raees678

I have a two part question concerning a module like so:

defmodule AsyncAwait do
  defp long_running_task(id) do
    Process.sleep(5_000)
    IO.puts("Completed #{id}")
    {:ok, "Completed #{id}"}
  end

  def perform_tasks(task_ids \\ [0, 1, 2]) do
    task_ids
    |> Enum.map(fn id ->
      Task.async(fn ->
        long_running_task(id)
      end)
    end)
    |> Enum.map(fn task ->
      IO.inspect(self())
      Task.await(task, 1_000)
    end)
  end
end

When I launch the iex shell and run AsyncAwait.perform_tasks(), I recieve a timeout and an exit as expected, at the await:

** (exit) exited in: Task.await(%Task{owner: #PID<0.151.0>, pid: #PID<0.153.0>, ref: #Reference<0.3029894714.2600271873.129496>}, 1000)
    ** (EXIT) time out
    (elixir 1.13.4) lib/task.ex:809: Task.await/2
    (elixir 1.13.4) lib/enum.ex:1593: Enum."-map/2-lists^map/1-0-"/2

I would expect that this kills the caller process, and hence also all the associated task processes that were spawned during the async call. This is what the docs say:

A timeout, in milliseconds or :infinity, can be given with a default value of 5000. If the timeout is exceeded, then the caller process will exit. If the task process is linked to the caller process which is the case when a task is started with async, then the task process will also exit. If the task process is trapping exits or not linked to the caller process, then it will continue to run - Task — Elixir v1.13.4

  1. Normally when the caller process exits, I expected it would kill the iex shell since they exist in the same process. I can verify that they exist in the same process since I call IO.inspect(self()) in the anonymous function that executes the Task.await, and when comparing it to the output of calling self() in iex, they are both indeed the same.

However the iex prompt numbers do not reset after the error, and its pid does not change either. Manually killing the current process using Process.exit(self(), :exit) resets the iex prompt number and the pid of the iex process, so I suspect that the caller process is not actually being killed. If it isn’t then what process actually exits due to the timeout?

  1. After 5 seconds I still see the output from the tasks in the iex shell:
Completed 0
Completed 1
Completed 2

This indicates that the async tasks that were spawned are still running.

How could this be happening? Assuming the caller processes did actually exit this means the associated task processes did not exit, which contradict the docs above.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Check out the docs for async: Task — Elixir v1.13.4

IEx traps exits (so it can report them).

tiagodavi

tiagodavi

Hey Jose,

I noticed that the same behavior occurs during a normal Phoenix request. If my request finishes while I have a task running, the task doesn’t terminate along with the request—it continues running afterward. Does this mean the request is trapping exits?

Additionally, I observed during tests that Task.async seems to automatically take ownership of a database connection, whereas a traditional spawn function does not. I’ve been searching through the documentation to confirm this behavior.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews