soulglory

soulglory

Actually i am implement a raft in elixir, and i am working on tcp_transport now ,
these are my files
https://github.com/ProgMastermind/elixir_raft/blob/main/lib/elixir_raft/network/tcp_transport.ex
https://github.com/ProgMastermind/elixir_raft/blob/main/test/elixir_raft/network/tcp_transport_test.exs
but i am getting this error when i am running tests

 1) test basic TCP transport can connect and send messages bi-directionally (ElixirRaft.Network.TcpTransportTest)
     test/elixir_raft/network/tcp_transport_test.exs:51
     Assertion failed, no matching message after 2000ms
     The following variables were pinned:
       node2_id = "node_2_38"
     Showing 1 of 1 message in the mailbox
     code: assert_receive {:received_t1, ^node2_id, "hello"}
     mailbox:
       pattern: {:received_t1, ^node2_id, "hello"}
       value:   {:received_t2, "node_1_38", "world"}
     stacktrace:
       test/elixir_raft/network/tcp_transport_test.exs:101: (test)

     The following output was logged:
     
     20:36:50.514 [info] TCP Transport listening on port 35581
     
     20:36:50.615 [debug] Attempting to connect to node_1_38 at {0, 0, 0, 0}:35581
     
     20:36:50.616 [info] Processing inbound connection from node_2_38
     
     20:36:50.616 [info] Successfully established bi-directional connection to node_1_38
     
     20:36:50.616 [debug] Connection status - T1->T2: connected, T2->T1: connected
     
     20:36:50.717 [debug] Sending message from T2 to T1
     
     20:36:50.717 [debug] Successfully sent message to node_1_38
     
     20:36:50.768 [debug] Sending message from T1 to T2
     
     20:36:50.768 [debug] Successfully sent message to node_2_38
     
     20:36:50.770 [debug] T2 received message from node_1_38: "world"
     
....
Finished in 2.3 seconds (2.3s async, 0.00s sync)
9 tests, 1 failure

the message is sending from t1 to t2, but not t2 to t1, can anyone explain me why the root cause is , i am not getting trying from past 4 hrs.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

jstimps

jstimps

I wonder if the messages are being delivered to your acceptor process. The destination process for messages can be changed with :gen_tcp.controlling_process/2

soulglory

soulglory OP

but one process is receiving the data, but other process is not receiving, that’s where i am stuck, i am sending through the same connection

jstimps

jstimps

Your server uses a new acceptor process (via a spawn_link/1 in start_acceptor/2). This process is accepting the socket request from the client, and presumably handle_new_connection/2 is working as expected for you?

If so, try adding a call to :gen_tcp.controlling_process/2 in this location:

        case send_message(socket, encode_handshake(our_node_id)) do
          :ok ->
            :gen_tcp.controlling_process(socket, parent) # <-- try adding this
            GenServer.cast(parent, {:inbound_connection, socket, remote_node_id})
            {:ok, remote_node_id}
          error ->
            Logger.error("Failed to complete handshake: #{inspect(error)}")
            :gen_tcp.close(socket)
            error
        end

This should transfer responsibility of the socket to the GenServer, and allow that GenServer process to receive the messages.

This differs from your TCP client-side implementation (at least I think so, I did not read in great detail), which connects and receives messages in the same process, so a change in the controlling process is not required.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

+1 for needing the call to :gen_tcp.controlling_process - I tried it, and the test passes with it added.

soulglory

soulglory OP

can you just share the snippets

soulglory

soulglory OP

It’s worked, thanks for the help.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews