ksherman

ksherman

Yo! So I’m running into a little issue I’d like to get some advice on.

I have an existing MSSQL database I’m retrofitting Elixir/Phx/Ecto on top of. I have to have tons of custom @primary_keys on, many of these tables have post insert/update triggers, which is where the issue stems from. The error I’m running into is when I insert the record, I usually get this error message:

(Tds.Error) Line 1 (Error 334): The target table 'Users' of the DML statement cannot have any enabled triggers if the statement contains an OUTPUT clause without INTO clause.

The query usually looks like:

[debug] QUERY ERROR db=80.4ms
INSERT INTO [Users] ([EmailAddress], [FirstName], [LastName], [UserPassword]) OUTPUT INSERTED.[UserID] VALUES (@1, @2, @3, @4) ["kevin+000@kdsherm.com", "Kevin", "Sherman", "sup"]

This is similar to a few issues I’ve tracked down:
https://github.com/findmypast-oss/mssql_ecto/issues/27
https://github.com/livehelpnow/tds_ecto/issues/61

Now, I can get through the error message by doing something like @primary_key {:UserID, :integer, []} in my schemas, or Repo.insert(returning: false) this helps to remove the OUTPUT clause in the query and the record is saved in the database. Cool.

But the next issue is that okay, the record persists, but without the OUTPUT clause, I don’t get the generated UserID back from the query in the struct:

%EfAPI.Data.User{
  EmailAddress: "kevin+000@kdsherm.com",
  FirstName: "Kevin",
  LastName: "Sherman",
  UserID: nil,
  ZipCodeDesc1: nil,
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "Users">,
}

So given that I’m in funky territory with an existing database with triggers (I knowwww, but not a lot I can do about triggers for a while), what’s a good strategy to get the record I just created?

My two thoughts: if I validate the uniqueness of the email, I could use the email address to pull up the record; second was I need to generate password hashes, those should be unique, maybe I could use the password hash in a query to pull the full record? Or am I missing a slick idea :tm:?

Bonus thought: I see an INTO clause in the query, so what’s the deal there?! :sob:

Thanks all!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

mjaric

mjaric

Hi @ksherman, there seems to be some improvements in tds library that could fixed this issue. Wouldn’t it be too much to ask if you can try your scenario with ecto_sql fork here

ksherman

ksherman OP

I just tried it out and getting the same error, however I’m also not convinced the trigger is written in a way to support returning the triggered record. I’ll pass this along to our DBA to look at OUTPUT statements to see if the trigger needs to be improved.

mjaric

mjaric

If it is not too much to ask, could you please create dummy example with same issue (table and triger)? I’m just curious how TDS message looks like. You can send me example in PM.

(Just guessing) It could be that triggers DONE token is streamed by sql server after column definition (COL_INFO token) so insert ROWS and DONE tokens from insert are pushed back in stream and are ignored in result. If I can see flags in DONE token, maybe there is something that I could do

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews