Tech Lead, Software Engineering - Boulder, United States
At SumUp, small business owners are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we create powerful, easy-to-use financial solutions to help them run their businesses. With merchants in over 31 countries using SumUp to accept payments, we’re building the first-ever global card acceptance brand. Using a founder’s mentality and a “team-first” attitude, our teams across Europe, South America, and the United States work together to ensure that small business owners can be successful doing what they love.
As a Tech Lead on the US engineering team, you will be part of building a new engineering organization from the very early stages. Our goal is to make SumUp the #1 way for small businesses to accept payments in the US. This is a highly collaborative role. The ideal candidate will be able to work closely with a wide variety of stakeholders, technical and non-technical, across several teams (and timezones).
- Work directly with Product Managers, Engineers, and Engineering Managers from across SumUp, while maintaining ownership and independence of our technical projects in the US
- Write clean, maintainable, peer-reviewed code, which other engineers will use as a standard for excellence
- Technically lead several diverse engineering projects, ranging from hardware to web apps, and everything in between
- Guide the development, deployment, and maintenance of a distributed architecture
- Advocate for quality code, durability, and technical debt reduction, working directly with Product Managers, Engineering Managers, and others
- Revamp services that have outlasted their original implementations, through refactoring, migration, and rethinking of architectural design
- Multiply the effectiveness of our engineers and engineering systems with processes that allow us to ship quicker, fail faster, and isolate the blast radius of changes
- A curious, passionate, and growth-oriented mindset about technology
- Led impactful engineering projects at a non-trivial scale
- A desire to teach, improve, and force multiply the strengths of engineers around you
- Experience working with one or more of Ruby, Golang, Elixir/Erlang
- Experience with micro-services based architecture
- 5+ years experience leading engineering projects
Bonus points for:
- Familiarity with React
- Experience building and deploying to cloud infrastructure
Some of our technology:
- Erlang/Elixir, Phoenix
- Ruby, Rails
- SumUp is a welcoming community of more than 2,000 people from over 52 nationalities
- Startup environment and small, cross-functional teams
- 50% employer-paid Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, and company-paid life insurance
- FSA & 401K Retirement Plan (up to 3.5% employer matching when you elect to contribute up to 6%)
- Paid vacation and holidays immediately available upon hire
- Ongoing access to professional development tools, job training, and industry conferences
- Free on-site refreshments, snacks (fruits, cereals, nuts, etc.), and team meals
- Fun company outings, team events, birthday lunches, yoga, happy hours, hikes, etc.
Salary range: $123,500 to $148,000
Position on remote work: We have a great office in Boulder, Colorado but encouraging people from all over the US to apply!
About the interview process
Initial phone screening from recruiter followed by a zoom call with the Engineering manager. If all goes well we will send you a coding challenge for you to complete in your language of choice and then a final call with a stakeholder - not technical.