i-n-g-m-a-r

i-n-g-m-a-r

Running mix test on a new Phoenix installation (1.5.9) results in many “Function passed as a handler with ID’” messages.

Does anyone know whether this is a problem and how to solve it?

Thank you.

09:13:48.858 [info]  Function passed as a handler with ID {Phoenix.Logger, [:phoenix, :channel_handled_in]} is local function.
This mean that it is either anonymous function or capture of function without module specified. That may cause performance penalty when calling such handler. For more details see note in `telemetry:attach/4` documentation.

https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry/telemetry.html#attach-4

09:13:48.871 [info]  Function passed as a handler with ID {Phoenix.Logger, [:phoenix, :channel_joined]} is local function.
This mean that it is either anonymous function or capture of function without module specified. That may cause performance penalty when calling such handler. For more details see note in `telemetry:attach/4` documentation.

https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry/telemetry.html#attach-4

09:13:48.871 [info]  Function passed as a handler with ID {Phoenix.Logger, [:phoenix, :endpoint, :start]} is local function.
This mean that it is either anonymous function or capture of function without module specified. That may cause performance penalty when calling such handler. For more details see note in `telemetry:attach/4` documentation.

https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry/telemetry.html#attach-4

09:13:48.871 [info]  Function passed as a handler with ID {Phoenix.Logger, [:phoenix, :endpoint, :stop]} is local function.
This mean that it is either anonymous function or capture of function without module specified. That may cause performance penalty when calling such handler. For more details see note in `telemetry:attach/4` documentation.

https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry/telemetry.html#attach-4

09:13:48.872 [info]  Function passed as a handler with ID {Phoenix.Logger, [:phoenix, :error_rendered]} is local function.
This mean that it is either anonymous function or capture of function without module specified. That may cause performance penalty when calling such handler. For more details see note in `telemetry:attach/4` documentation.

https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry/telemetry.html#attach-4

09:13:48.872 [info]  Function passed as a handler with ID {Phoenix.Logger, [:phoenix, :router_dispatch, :start]} is local function.
This mean that it is either anonymous function or capture of function without module specified. That may cause performance penalty when calling such handler. For more details see note in `telemetry:attach/4` documentation.

https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry/telemetry.html#attach-4

09:13:48.872 [info]  Function passed as a handler with ID {Phoenix.Logger, [:phoenix, :socket_connected]} is local function.
This mean that it is either anonymous function or capture of function without module specified. That may cause performance penalty when calling such handler. For more details see note in `telemetry:attach/4` documentation.

https://hexdocs.pm/telemetry/telemetry.html#attach-4

Showing Posts 1 to 7

03juan

03juan

I just tried it on a fresh 1.5.9 install and don’t see those errors. Did you make any changes to the dependencies?

Out the box phx_new 1.5.9 depends on telemetry_poller v0.4 which would install v0.5.1, but the link in the errors suggests you’re using 1.0, which depends on telemetry 1.0, so you may have a version mismatch.

hauleth

hauleth

Update Phoenix.

Yes, I know whether it is problem - I have implemented that warning.

It can be problem in production as calling local captures between processes (and storing them in ETS) can be quite expensive due to BEAM guarantees about local calls. Remote captures (aka one in form of &module.function/arity) are much less expensive, as these are almost equivalent to just 3-ary tuple ({module, function, arity}). Phoenix used local captures there in the past, and now it is fixed.

03juan

03juan

If they want to use 1.5.9 to follow a book or tutorials, would it be easy to change where those calls are made? Or at least they can live with the warnings. Unless the intention is a production system, in which case definitely upgrade.

i-n-g-m-a-r

i-n-g-m-a-r OP

Below is the output for mix deps.update --all
My mix.exs file defines {:phoenix, "~> 1.5.9"}
The actual phoenix version seems to be phoenix 1.5.13
The messages remain the same.

  connection 1.1.0
  cowboy 2.9.0
  cowboy_telemetry 0.4.0
  cowlib 2.11.0
  db_connection 2.4.1
  decimal 2.0.0
  ecto 3.7.1
  ecto_sql 3.7.2
  elixir_uuid 1.2.1
  file_system 0.2.10
  gettext 0.19.1
  jason 1.3.0
  mime 2.0.2
  oban 2.11.1
  phoenix 1.5.13
  phoenix_ecto 4.4.0
  phoenix_html 2.14.3
  phoenix_live_dashboard 0.6.5
  phoenix_live_reload 1.3.3
  phoenix_live_view 0.17.7
  phoenix_pubsub 2.0.0
  plug 1.13.3
  plug_cowboy 2.5.2
  plug_crypto 1.2.2
  postgrex 0.16.2
  ranch 1.8.0
  telemetry 1.0.0
  telemetry_metrics 0.6.1
  telemetry_poller 1.0.0

03juan

03juan

Yes if the project was initialised with phoenix 1.5.x and now you’ve upgraded telemetry to 1.0 and live_view to 0.17 then why not upgrade to phoenix 1.6 as per @hauleth?

i-n-g-m-a-r

i-n-g-m-a-r OP

Thank you both, that works.

It didn’t occur to me that mix phx.new would not install the latest version.
I should pay better attention.

03juan

03juan

You need to upgrade the phx_new package from hex every time a new Phoenix version is released.

 mix archive.install hex phx_new latest

Or at least before you start a new project.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews