netDalek

netDalek

I’m thinking about rewriting metrics subsystem in my project. I wish to do it in some unified manner so it can be easily copied to other projects. I’m looking at telemetry and inspecting its reporters. We use influxdb, so I have to write a reporter because there isn’t any.

The reporter’s idea is probably the most complex part of telemetry. I compare Statsd and Prometheus reporters. Prometheus one does intermediate aggregation by itself, whereas statsd reporter doesn’t. With influxdb, we even don’t have different data types as we have with statsd. All aggregation in done afterwards. Intermediate aggregation looks very efficient because it is done inside Erlang VM.

So I want to create a summing counter that flushes data to influxdb on a regular basis. What is the right way to do it with telemetry? Should I write a reporter with an aggregation feature or write some external summing counter and flush its values using Telemetry.Poller and then write a telemetry reporter that writes data to influx without aggregation? In the second case, the new reporter should treat all types of telemetry metrics mostly the same. In the first case I need to specify some time interval when starting the reporter.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Phillipp

Phillipp

There is one, but I am not sure if it fulfills your needs.

https://github.com/ludwikbukowski/telemetry_influxdb

rawkode

rawkode

Hi,

I work at InfluxData, the company behind InfluxDB.

We’re actively looking at how we can contribute to the BEAM ecosystem, so it’s great to see some people working with this stack use InfuxDB.

I generally advise avoiding pre-aggregated metrics, but obviously there’s a trade off and sometimes it’s the best route forward.

You can do this currently with Telegraf, which can proxy InfuxDB; this would allow you to do aggregation without code.

I’ll put an example together if you think it would be useful

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I guess the solution for doing it within the telemetry ecosystem would be have the telemetry reporter do aggregation/sampling. Afaik it’s the place meant to handle conversion between reported metrics and what’s actually send out to elsewhere. This can be as easy as just forwarding data or be quite complex by doing pre-aggregation or sampling. In the end it depends on how many moving parts one likes to have inside and/or outside of telemetry.

arkgil

arkgil

Yes, a proper place would be a reporter if one wants to integrate with Telemetry.Metrics, which provides nice abstraction over how events should be aggregated.

The InfluxDB reporter mentioned above takes a different approach where all events are pushed directly to InfluxDB, something that @rawkode suggested. The benefit of doing that instead of pre-aggregating is that we don’t need to know in advance what aggregations we’re going to run in order to analyze the data. As always, there are tradeoffs: pushing every event might be very bandwidth consuming, but aggregating in-process may consume considerable amount of memory.

hauleth

hauleth

This is the difference between logs and metrics, more can be read in this article by Grafana

https://grafana.com/blog/2016/01/05/logs-and-metrics-and-graphs-oh-my/

Ludwik

Ludwik

As an author of mentioned library I confirm what the guys say;
InfluxDB reporter simply pushes the events and it’s up to InfluxDB’s user what kind of processing he’d like to apply on top of them. The idea of sampling was actually the next step for library’s improvement.
If you have any questions/suggestions for the implementation, I would be happy to help

tristan

tristan

Rebar3 Core Team

Is InfluxData involved at all with https://opentelemetry.io/? The first draft of the metrics specification is being finished up now I believe.

If you are involved in OpenTelemetry or plan to support it then I think the best way for InfluxData to contribute to the BEAM ecosystem is through the Erlang/Elixir libraries, GitHub - open-telemetry/opentelemetry-erlang: OpenTelemetry Erlang SDK · GitHub

We have a SIG as part of the OpenTelemetry project GitHub - open-telemetry/community: OpenTelemetry community content · GitHub

tristan

tristan

Rebar3 Core Team

I should also mention for those looking for how to instrument and report their metrics, the idea is you can use OpenTelemetry for recording metrics in your application and reporting them to the OpenCensus Collector, GitHub - open-telemetry/opentelemetry-collector: OpenTelemetry Collector · GitHub, and this will then report to Influx. It should also be able to receive from influx instrumented code so if you have projects in other languages already instrumented with some influx library they can report to the same agent/collector.

netDalek

netDalek OP

Thank you for describing this reporting scheme. It was the first time I’ve heard about OpenTelemetry. The whole infrastructure looks very interesting but maybe a bit far from my today’s needs. But I will keep an eye on it

hauleth

hauleth

OpenTelemetry is actually pretty big project that is backed by CNCF (known from also backing k8s, Prometheus, Fluentd, and a lot of other projects) so I would say it is worth trying (soon, as this is still in the progress).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews