rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho

I found How can I add a custom header to my error pages?, which showed me Plug.ErrorHandler — Plug v1.20.2.

The general advice is to keep error pages simple, independent of existing layouts, minimal dependencies, to avoid more errors when rendering the error page itself.

How do you approach custom error pages when each application tenant has their own branding? E.g. custom name, logo, color scheme.

My expectation would be to have a 404 page better-aligned with the current tenancy than, say, a 500 caused by a DB error.

Anyone aware of open-source Phoenix apps that fit that category as a source of inspiration?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I’d explicitly handle all the error pages you expect to have custom branding on. Leave ErrorHandler to the truely exceptional case.

aseigo

aseigo

One approach is to have a plug that “loads” the tenant and sets the path to tenant-specific styling (e.g. CSS, values for tennnt name, etc.) This is pretty common in multi-tenant applications.

Then use ErrorView[1] to implement custom error pages which use those values to customize the error pages.

That way there is no additional loading of data, DB checks, etc in the error template.

To avoid a strange loop between “can’t find that tenant” and an error page that relies on a tenant being found, I tend to use a redirect to a known generic landing page specifically for that case in the “load the tenant” plug.

[1] If using Phoenix; replace with the equivalent handler in whatever framework you are using.

rhcarvalho

rhcarvalho OP

Thanks for the replies!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews