Test --cover not changing despite adding test?

I’m having trouble understanding how test --cover is working. I see a module has 0% coverage, add a test for the function defined in that module and test --cover still says 0% for that module. Also, not sure why it is flagging some functions not defined in the module as needing tests. Here is an example of what Im talking about:

here is a screenshot after running test.coverage:

here are the tests for it:

defmodule Core.Tenants.Settings.CheckoutTest do
  @moduledoc false

use ExUnit.Case, async: true
  alias Core.Tenants.Settings.Checkout

@valid_attrs %{asset_key: "some string"}
  @invalid_attrs %{}

test "changeset with valid attributes" do
    changeset = Checkout.changeset(%Checkout{}, @valid_attrs)
    assert changeset.valid?
  end

test "changeset with invalid attributes" do
    changeset = Checkout.changeset(%Checkout{}, @invalid_attrs)
    refute changeset.valid?
  end

test "asset_key is required" do
    changeset = Checkout.changeset(%Checkout{}, Map.delete(@valid_attrs, :asset_key))
    refute changeset.valid?
  end
end
1 Like

maybe test.coverage is not configured correctly. Are you sure the test is really running? (add some console output)

Yeah the test runs. I should probably also add this is an umbrella app.

EDIT: so actually the test wasn’t running because the file name had tests instead of test. This still only generated 66% coverage for the file though so still a little confused.

This coverage does not make sense.
Which cover-module are you using? I use GitHub - parroty/excoveralls: Coverage report tool for Elixir with coveralls.io integration. - which I can recommend.

cool, so I setup coveralls and that seems to be picking everything up correctly. just have to figure out how to get it to show me the lines missed.

See GitHub - parroty/excoveralls: Coverage report tool for Elixir with coveralls.io integration.
If you want more insight I recommend a tool like codecov.io. Codecov can easily be hooked into CI, eg github actions:

- name: mix coveralls.json
  run: mix coveralls.json
- name: Upload coverage to Codecov
  uses: codecov/codecov-action@v2
  with:
    token: ${{ secrets.CODECOV_TOKEN }}
    directory: ./coverage/reports/
    fail_ci_if_error: true
    files: ./cover/excoveralls.json
    name: codecov-myproject

awesome, thanks for all the help!

1 Like