fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’m working on a umbrella app that relies on the built-in test coverage tools to generate reports, e.g

mix test --cover --export-coverage default
mix test.coverage

I’m noticing that modules that do nothing other than declare structs and mocked modules (mocked via mox) both show up as 0% coverage in the coverage report. For example:

defmodule Bar do
  defstruct [:a, :b, :c]
end
Mox.defmock(FooMock, for: Foo)

earn both modules an entry in the report, e.g.

Percentage | Module
-----------|--------------------------
     0.00% | Bar
     0.00% | FooMock
-----------|--------------------------
     0.00% | Total

Is the only way to ignore these types of modules from the final output to explicitly list them in the ignore_modules section, e.g.

def project do
[
    # ...
    test_coverage: [ignore_modules: [Bar, FooMock]]
]
end

There are reasons why we cannot currently use excoveralls or other tools for this (even though ExCoveralls doesn’t “mis-diagnose” these particular cases IIRC). Is there some other way to modify our report? Or is this report actually telling us something useful that I have overlooked?

Thanks for any insights!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

tjchambers

tjchambers

Did you ever get a response to this? Would be interested.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

According to the docs, mix test.cover only covers executable lines of code. See here. It mentions:

Code in macros are also often executed at compilation time, and therefore may not be covered.

so that likely includes defstruct.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews