zekus

zekus

Hello all.

When writing an Escript that uses System.exit/1 Is there a way to test it?
Or is there a better way to make an Escript return the proper exit code which is testable with ExUnit?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 2

mbklein

mbklein

You could invoke the script via System.shell/2, which returns a tuple containing the executed command’s output and exit status.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread the question and thought you were looking to test exit status. Better answer coming soon.

mbklein

mbklein

Assuming you’re writing this script in a full mix-based environment, I’d probably test this one (or both!) of two ways:

The first would be to make the escript itself a very thin wrapper around the actual functionality it invokes, so that functionality can be tested with more conventional unit tests. You can use Code.compile_file/2 to load and compile your .exs in the test setup, call its main function yourself from inside the test, and unload it after:

defmodule MyScriptTest do
  use ExUnit.Case

  setup do
    Code.compile_file("path/to/escript.exs")
    on_exit(fn ->
      :code.delete(MyEscriptModule)
      :code.purge(MyEscriptModule)
    end)
  end

  test "test the thing" do
    with result <- MyEscriptModule.CLI.main(args) do
      assert something_about(result)
    end
  end
end

The second would be to wrap the System.exit/1 call in its own tiny module:

defmodule MyEscriptModule do
  defmodule Terminator do
    def terminate(status), do: System.exit(status)
  end

  defmodule CLI do
    def main(args) do
      # ... do whatever your script does
      terminate(some_status)
    do

    defp terminate(status) do
      Application.get_env(:my_app, :terminator, Terminator)
      |> Kernel.apply(:terminate, [status])
    end
  end
end

Then in your test, create a mock terminator module you can spy on:

defmodule MyScriptTest do
  use ExUnit.Case

  setup do
    code =
      quote do
        def terminate(status), do: unquote(self()) |> send({:exit_code, status})
      end

    Module.create(TestTerminator, code, file: __ENV__.file)
    Application.put_env(:my_app, :terminator, TestTerminator)

    on_exit(fn ->
      Application.delete_env(:my_app, :terminator)
      :code.delete(TestTerminator)
      :code.purge(TestTerminator)
    end)
  end

  test "test the thing" do
    with result <- MyEscriptModule.CLI.main(args) do
      assert_received({:exit_code, expected_exit_status})
    end
  end
end

There’s probably a much simpler way to structure this, especially the TestTerminator, but I don’t know how you’d get the test process’ PID into the mock without constructing it that way. Someone else might have a tighter example.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews