michaelfich
I’ve been working with a function that looks similar to the one that I’ve described below. It works adequately in practice but trying to unit test it has been a challenge to this point.
lib/my_module.ex
defmodule MyApp.MyModule do
def my_func do
"my-s3-bucket"
|> ExAws.S3.list_objects_v2(prefix: "path/to/files")
|> ExAws.stream!()
|> Enum.map(&do_work/1)
end
end
I’ve currently set up ExAws like the code samples below for mocking out ExAws.request! calls.
config/test.exs
config :my_app, :ex_aws,
http_client: ExAws.Request.HttpMock
test/support/mocks.ex
Mox.defmock(ExAws.Request.HttpMock, for: ExAws.Request.HttpClient)
If anyone has suggestions for how to make the Mox.expect/4 call here properly set up the ExAws.stream! call, that would be greatly appreciated.
test/my_module_test.exs
defmodule MyApp.MyModuleTest do
use ExUnit.Case, async: true
import Mox
setup :verify_on_exit!
describe "my_func/0" do
test "mocks api call(s)" do
# how do we mock the stream?
expect(ExAws.Request.HttpMock, ..., fn ..., ... ->
# unsure
end)
assert [_ | _] = my_func()
end
end
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
To mock at the HTTP layer you need to return a response shape that is the same as what AWS itself returns. the stream function is just making repeated object list calls with a cursor, so you’ll need to return that shape.
I don’t however recommend mocking at this layer. You’ll spend more time trying to make ExAws internals work. Rather I would make an internal FileStore behavior in your app and then have a mock of that which can return a stream directly.
LostKobrakai
That – but also if you eventually want to run integration tests you can consider pointing it against minio or localstack instances.
michaelfich
Thank you for the feedback. Very much appreciated!