amaterasu

amaterasu

I need to test that I can create a post having one category (chosen from an async loaded list) on my admin site.

I have a LiveComponent for a select which uses Tom Select JS with a phx-hook like this:

    ~H"""
    <.field_wrapper errors={@errors} name={@name} class={@wrapper_class}>
      <div
        id={"#{@id}"}
        phx-hook="ComboBox"
      >
        <div id={"#{@id}_wrapper"} phx-update="ignore">
          <.field_label required={@required} for={@id} class={@label_class}>
            <%= @label %>
          </.field_label>
          <div class="combo-box-wrapper">
            <select
              class={["combo-box", @class]}
              multiple={@multiple}
              name={@name}
              required={@required}
              {@rest}
            >
              <option :for={{value, label} <- @value} selected value={value}><%= label %></option>
            </select>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
    </.field_wrapper>

Here’s the JS Hook:

Hooks.ComboBox = {
  mounted() {
    this.init(this.el)
  },
  init: async function (el) {
    const settings = {
      preload: 'focus',
      load: (query, callback) => {
        const params = {query: query}
        this.pushEventTo(el, 'fetch_association', params, (data) => callback(data.results))
       }
     }

    new TomSelect(el.querySelector('select.combo-box'), settings)
  },
}

The <option>s for the <select> are loaded when the input is focused.
Before focusing, the select only has the options which are already associated to the post (which are empty in tests).

My test:

  @create_attrs %{
    category_id: "123",
    title: "some title"
  }

  ...

    test "saves new post", %{conn: conn} do
      {:ok, view, _html} = live(conn, ~p"/posts/new")

      assert view
             |> form("#post-form", post: @create_attrs)
             |> render_submit()

      assert_patch(view, ~p"/posts")
    end

I’m getting this error:

value for select "post[category_id]" must be one of [], got: "123"

I’m guessing that this is because the <option> list is empty and Phoenix checks for a list of possible values?

How can I test this since the <option>s are filled by the JS hook? I see that render_hook exists, but of course it doesn’t run the JS part.
I guess I can also avoid testing the JS hook itself by injecting a list of <option>s for this test’s purpose, but I’m not sure how.

Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 8

arcanemachine

arcanemachine

I believe you would need to use something like Playwright to test the JS. But your code shouldn’t be getting that error IMO. The Elixir side of the code should be picking up your category_id since it doesn’t really care about the JS implementation.

It looks like the error is suggesting that the category_id field expects a list [], which is strange. Did you create the category_id field as an :array in your migration? I believe that a foreign key should be represented like this in your migration:

add :category_id, references(:categories, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false

If you don’t have this, you could create a new migration, or just edit the existing migration and run mix ecto.reset (which will completely reset the database for the project, be ye warned).

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

@arcanemachine is right that you wouldn’t be seeing an error here due to JS. If you could share your setup code that would help give more insight but I’m guessing you have @multiple set to true and therefore the attribute should be set like: name="category_id[]" in order to capture the multiple selections. So all you have to do is change your setup attrs to:

  @create_attrs %{
    category_id: ["123"],
    title: "some title"
  }

which is totally legit assuming it’s a multiple select.

EDIT: my raw HTML in this area may be skrewed a bit from working with frameworks for so long as apparently you don’t need to do name="name[]" for a multi-select but regardless, if using a %Form{} or changeset-backed form in Phoenix, they will come through as an Elixir list regardless.

trisolaran

trisolaran

That’s right. form/3 mimics what the user is supposed to be able to do on the form, so you can’t select an option that doesn’t exist yet.

However, you can easily sidestep this limitation by passing some values in render_submit/2 directly.

amaterasu

amaterasu OP

@arcanemachine here are the migration:

    create table(:posts, primary_key: false) do
      add :id, :binary_id, primary_key: true
      add :title, :string
      add :category_id, references(:categories, type: :binary_id)
      timestamps()
    end

and the schema:

  schema "posts" do
    field :title, :string
    belongs_to :category, Core.Category
    timestamps()
  end

@sodapopcan @multiple is set to false here (it’s the default), so the rendered <select> name is post[category_id].

I tried changing my <select> by adding a couple of <option>s (everything else is the same):

            <select
              class={["combo-box", @class]}
              multiple={@multiple}
              name={@name}
              required={@required}
              {@rest}
            >
              <option value="test1">test1 label</option>
              <option value="test2">test2 label</option>
              <option :for={{value, label} <- @value} selected value={value}><%= label %></option>
            </select>

And I’m getting:

** (ArgumentError) value for select "post[category_id]" must be one of ["test1", "test2"], got: "123"

I also tried with the default Phoenix select component and I’m getting the same error.

So it’s definitely “reading” the available options and “validating” with them (or I’m missing something :slight_smile: )

amaterasu

amaterasu OP

@trisolaran do you mind being a little more specific?
I tried with the following

      assert view
             |> form("#post-form", post: @create_attrs)
             |> render_submit(%{"post" => %{"category_id" => ["123"]}})

Plus a lot of other variations like using atoms for keys, writing "post[category_id]", not using lists…
I always get the same error.

trisolaran

trisolaran

Move category_id from form to render_submit. This should work:

assert view
             |> form("#post-form", post: %{title: "some title"})
             |> render_submit(%{post: %{category_id: ["123"]}})

You were getting the same error because you were still passing category_id in form

amaterasu

amaterasu OP

That was it! Thank you :slight_smile:
Another possible solution that came to mind and I’ll test: adding “static” select options via assigns, so that I can go back to using @create_attrs and avoid “injecting” arbitrary values with render_submit.

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Ah sorry, your initial error confused me as I read it as you were getting a type-mismatch. I did some tests but not with an empty <select> because I thought it was getting some default values, even though you clearly said it was the JS that populates it. D’oh.

I knew you could pass form data to it but never knew that’s why. TIL!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews