baezanat

baezanat

Hello! I need to test that a Liveview broadcasts a message to a PubSub topic after a redirect. Anybody knows how I could go about testing whether a message is broadcasted? Thanks so much!

First Post!

CinderellaMan

CinderellaMan

Hello :wave:

I’m possibly misunderstanding the complexity but what I normally do is that I inject things like modules dynamically dependent on the environment. For example, the code which uses the PubSub module to broadcast message to the topic, instead of the hardcoded PubSub module would have something like:

@pubsub_client Application.get_env(:naive, :pubsub_client)

and use it to broadcast:

@pubsub_client.broadcast(
  :ignore,
  topic,
  data
)

Option 2:

You could subscribe to the topic to figure out have you received the expected message back.

Option 3:

The broadcast function could be passed as an argument

I hope that helps somehow :slightly_smiling_face:

Last Post!

baezanat

baezanat OP

Thank you for your answer! So, the problem with option 2 is that the name of the topic is built with a unique session_id that I plugged into the session.

  @doc """
  Assign unique session_id to socket
  """
  def assign_session_id(socket, %{"session_id" => session_id}) do
    assign_new(socket, :session_id, fn -> session_id end)
  end

  @doc """
  Returns a unique string per session to be used for alerts messages
  """
  def alerts_topic_id(socket), do: "alerts-#{socket.assigns.session_id}"

  @doc """
  Send a notification message to the unique pubsub topic for the current session
  """
  def send_notification(socket, type, message) do
    topic = alerts_topic_id(socket)
    PubSub.broadcast(TrainingCardBuilder.PubSub, topic, {type, message})
  end

When I mount the liveview I store it into a socket assign and then retrieve it from there to broadcast a message. So in order to subscribe to the topic from my test, I would need to have the session_id assigns, but I don’t think we can access the assigns in a test, right?


To explain things better: my LV does something and, if successful, broadcasts a message to the topic (unique for each session) saying that the action was successful.

  defp save_exercise(socket, :edit, exercise_params) do
    case Exercise.Update.call(socket.assigns.exercise, exercise_params) do
      {:ok, _exercise} ->
        send_notification(socket, :info, gettext("Exercise updated successfully"))
        :timer.sleep(10)

        {:noreply,
         socket
         |> push_redirect(to: socket.assigns.return_to)}

      {:error, %Ecto.Changeset{} = changeset} ->
        {:noreply, assign(socket, :changeset, changeset)}
    end
  end

The message is then used by another LV, whose template is located in root, which issues a notification.

  def mount(_params, session, socket) do
    subscribe_to_alarms_topic(session)

    socket =
      socket
      |> assign(:info, nil)
      |> assign(:error, nil)

    {:ok, socket}
  end

  defp subscribe_to_alarms_topic(session) do
    topic = alerts_topic_id(session)
    PubSub.subscribe(TrainingCardBuilder.PubSub, topic)
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_info({:info, message}, socket) do
    send(self(), :schedule_clear_message)

    {:noreply, assign(socket, info: message)}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_info({:error, message}, socket) do
    send(self(), :schedule_clear_message)

    {:noreply, assign(socket, error: message)}
  end


I want to test my initial LV, the one that does the action and then broadcasts a message. The problem is that, after the broadcast, there is a redirect, after which the LV is remounted. In my test, currently, I follow the redirect and then test for the html that the notifications LV in the root layout should insert upon receiving the message. But my test fails, presumably because right when the LV is mounted, the html isn’t yet included.

    test "saves new exercise", %{conn: conn} do
      {:ok, index_live, _html} = live(conn, Routes.exercise_index_path(conn, :index))

      assert index_live |> element("a", "New") |> render_click() =~
               "New Exercise"

      assert_patch(index_live, Routes.exercise_index_path(conn, :new))

      assert index_live
             |> form("#exercise-form", exercise: @invalid_attrs)
             |> render_change() =~ "can't be blank"

      {:ok, _, html} =
        index_live
        |> form("#exercise-form", exercise: @create_attrs)
        |> render_submit()
        |> follow_redirect(conn, Routes.exercise_index_path(conn, :index))

      assert html =~ "Exercise created successfully"
    end

That last line fails, even though I correctly see the notification displayed… Presumably, as I said, because the redirect and the notification are asynchronous. So, I thought I should test just if my LV issues the message correctly before redirect, but I don’t know how to do it…

Another interesting thing about this case is that I had to add :timer.sleep(10) just after the message is broadcasted and before the LV redirects (see code snipet again below); otherwise, the notification would not be displayed after the redirect.

  defp save_exercise(socket, :edit, exercise_params) do
    case Exercise.Update.call(socket.assigns.exercise, exercise_params) do
      {:ok, _exercise} ->
        send_notification(socket, :info, gettext("Exercise updated successfully"))
        :timer.sleep(10)

        {:noreply,
         socket
         |> push_redirect(to: socket.assigns.return_to)}

      {:error, %Ecto.Changeset{} = changeset} ->
        {:noreply, assign(socket, :changeset, changeset)}
    end
  end

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews