Softknobs

Softknobs

I am working on my first Phoenix application that uses an existing MySQL database (not created with Ecto). Examples for this use case are difficult to find online. I managed to have a build working but due to my lack of experience testing Phoenix apps, I don’t know if that configuration will work as the project evolves.

Has anybody any experience to share with such use case?

So far, my working solutions is:

gitlab-ci.yml

variables:
MYSQL_HOST: mysql
MYSQL_USER: root
MYSQL_DATABASE: edit_test
MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: mysql
MIX_ENV: “test”

Compile and test:
image: elixir:latest
services:
- mysql:5.7
script:
- apt-get update -q && apt-get install -qqy --no-install-recommends mysql-client
- mysql --user=root --password=“$MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD” --host=mysql < base_schema.sql
- mix local.rebar --force
- mix local.hex --force
- mix deps.get
- mix ecto.migrate
- mix test

test.exs

config :demo, Demo.Repo,
adapter: Ecto.Adapters.MySQL,
username: System.get_env(“MYSQL_USER”) || “root”,
password: System.get_env(“MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD”) || “root_dev_pwd”,
database: System.get_env(“MYSQL_DATABASE”) || “edit_test”,
hostname: System.get_env(“MYSQL_HOST”) || “localhost”,
show_sensitive_data_on_connection_error: true,
pool_size: 10,
pool: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

No better way of knowing than actually trying it. :slightly_smiling_face: Did you try your setup?

Softknobs

Softknobs OP

For sure, thanks :slight_smile:
I will stick with my current solution for now and see how it behaves as my project grows.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews