ashkan117
I wanted to try and clear up two things that I run into with when testing with some of the Ash libraries.
- How can I properly authenticate a user for a test
- How to work with relationships and Smokestack
The first one is the one I am more stumped with. Essentially let’s say I want to have a test that the user goes to a route that is limited to logged in users and does some actions, what is the appropriate way to create the user?
Right now I am doing the following inside the conn_case.ex
def log_in_user(conn, user) do
subject = AshAuthentication.user_to_subject(user)
conn
|> Phoenix.ConnTest.init_test_session(%{})
|> Plug.Conn.put_session("user", subject)
end
The next one I want to just clarify or see if there are better ways. Is there a way I can create a factory that implicitly builds an association?
# post has_one author
author = insert!(Author)
post = insert!(Post, attrs: %{author_id: author.id})
# is there a way to do something like
# post = insert!(Post)
# and the author will be implicitly created
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ken-kost
There is ash_authentication but also ash_authentication_phoenix.
Got me confused recently.
Anyway, definitely check the latter. In ash authentication phoenix there is a test:
As you can see in support there are
Examplemodules which represent example for use.Also create action
register_with_passwordon changeset is called but you will not find that create action inUsermodule. I think it’s because it’s implicit in password authentication i.e. it’s not necessary to explicitly define the create action for that strategy.