phoebe
Hi,
In my html.eex template form, I have a text_input form input and would like to pass to the placeholder a value based on some other field from the form (previously saved before form is rendered). I would like to do something like the following - have a :username field with a placeholder of the :first_name field value, but the placeholder variable is not recognised here:
<%= form_for @changeset, @action, fn f -> %>
<%= text_input f, :username, placeholder: :first_name %>
...
<% end %>
Is this possible to do with the text_input macro or do I need to use the tag macro? Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kokolegorille
If You know the value of first_name, pass it as a variable in the controller…
:first_name is only an atom, pass it, and use it as @first_name.
If You want to use conditional rendering on the same form… You will need some JS skill… or LiveView, or Drab, or any server side libs that can potentially update DOM.
phoebe
Thanks, that makes complete sense - I was thinking that :first_name would auto-magically be available when the form ‘is loaded’
OvermindDL1
If you are wanting
:first_nameto pull from a key on your changeset/whatever namedfirst_namethen you can always do this:And that will compile the value in as the placeholder. If you want it to update ‘on the page’ then that’s a Javascript thing, so either a some javascript, drab, live_view, etc…
phoebe
Thanks! Very helpful indeed,
input_valueis easier than passing variable into a controller