The Elixir experience on Windows is deteriorating

The Elixir experience on Windows seems to boil down to this: if you are really determined to make it work, you will – but you are not in for a smooth ride.

The first time I toyed with the idea of learning Elixir, I nearly gave up. My expectation was that one (offline) installer would get the system ready for me. In practice, there was Erlang, a separate Elixir (online) installer, and uncertainty as to how these two would work together. Note however that it was not the complexity or the inconvenience that was the problem, but a gut reaction signalling that Elixir/Phoenix might not be the user-friendly platform I was looking for.

The sort of person who has taken the trouble to learn Elixir and switch to Phoenix is unlikely to settle for Pbkdf2, because the endless hours of frustration due to not settling for Pbkdf2 are unimaginable to begin with. You expect to spend some time figuring out how things work together, but then the Visual Studio reality kicks in. It is huge, it is not obvious which components are required (I had to reinstall a few times in order to save HDD space), it might take forever to download (e.g. link), and it is almost inevitable that you will get something wrong (e.g. link). Like the OP, I am not complaining, just sharing my experience.

3 Likes