Thoughtbot Redbird - Redix connection always closed (%Redix.ConnectionError{reason: :closed})

Hello All,

I’m fairly new to the Elixir / Phoenix space, and am implementing cross-application, redis-backed session sharing (the other application is a Rails app). Thoughtbot has a redis session adapter called Redbird. I have followed the configuration instructions provided in the README, however I am encountering the following error stacktrace whenever I send a request with a cookie from Postman:

iex(1)> [info] GET / [debug] Processing with MyAppWeb.PageController.index/2 Parameters: %{} Pipelines: [:browser] [debug] Converted error Redix.ConnectionError to 500 response [error] #PID<0.715.0> running MyAppWeb.Endpoint (connection #PID<0.714.0>, stream id 1) terminated Server: localhost:4000 (http) Request: GET / ** (exit) an exception was raised: ** (Redix.ConnectionError) the connection to Redis is closed (redix 1.0.0) lib/redix.ex:608: Redix.command!/3 (redbird 0.5.0) lib/redis.ex:15: Redbird.Redis.get/1 (redbird 0.5.0) lib/redbird/plug/session/redis.ex:17: Plug.Session.REDIS.get/3 (plug 1.11.0) lib/plug/session.ex:76: anonymous fn/5 in Plug.Session.fetch_session/1 (plug 1.11.0) lib/plug/debugger.ex:277: Plug.Debugger.maybe_fetch_session/1 (plug 1.11.0) lib/plug/debugger.ex:183: Plug.Debugger.render/6 (plug 1.11.0) lib/plug/debugger.ex:158: Plug.Debugger.__catch__/5 (my_app 0.1.0) lib/my_app_web/endpoint.ex:1: MyAppWeb.Endpoint.call/2 (phoenix 1.5.7) lib/phoenix/endpoint/cowboy2_handler.ex:65: Phoenix.Endpoint.Cowboy2Handler.init/4 (cowboy 2.8.0) /Users/my_name/Desktop/knotch/my_app/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_handler.erl:37: :cowboy_handler.execute/2 (cowboy 2.8.0) /Users/my_name/Desktop/knotch/my_app/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_stream_h.erl:300: :cowboy_stream_h.execute/3 (cowboy 2.8.0) /Users/my_name/Desktop/knotch/my_app/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_stream_h.erl:291: :cowboy_stream_h.request_process/3 (stdlib 3.14) proc_lib.erl:226: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

I have placed some IEx.pry breakpoints within the dependency files, and from what I can tell, the process that holds the connection appears to be alive and functioning. I am not sure how to proceed debugging this issue. Any insight and guidance here would be much appreciated. Thank you all!

Follow up for anyone else who experiences this issue:

My local environment was not configured for SSL, however I had configured redbird with the flag ssl: true. By commenting this out, I was able to connect to redis