tomciopp

tomciopp

Postgresql added support for multiranges in version 14

I’m looking to add a multirange field to my project but I’m not 100% sure what to do, I think this could be a decent library or an addition to the postgrex library but I’m not certain which is more appropriate. Based off of my reading it looks like I will have to create a new Extension like the library is doing internally.

https://github.com/elixir-ecto/postgrex/blob/8e4f0ec9ad23fac05b21439642c6ba2e30cad8a5/lib/postgrex/extensions/range.ex

However, I’m not certain how to determine how these types are encoded and decoded from Postgresql itself. (Can’t seem to find those docs). If anyone has any experience with multiranges in their application, or if there are any of the Postgrex library authors around I’d be happy to collaborate.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

ericmj

ericmj

Elixir Core Team

The wire format of postgres types are unfortunately not documented, instead you have to read the postgres C code. Look for functions named TYPE_send and TYPE_recv for encode and decode respectively.

Here is link to the multirange functions: postgres/src/backend/utils/adt/multirangetypes.c at master · postgres/postgres · GitHub.

tomciopp

tomciopp OP

So I have the following extension written, but I can’t seem to figure out why I’m getting a type error.

defmodule Postgrex.Extensions.Multirange do 
  import Postgrex.BinaryUtils, warn: false

  @behaviour Postgrex.SuperExtension

  def init(_), do: nil

  def matching(_state), do: [send: "multirange_send", receive: "multirange_recv"]

  def format(_), do: :super_binary

  def oids(%Postgrex.TypeInfo{array_elem: elem_oid}, _), do: [elem_oid]

  def encode(_) do
    quote location: :keep do
      list, [oid], [type] when is_list(list) -> 
        # encode_list/2 defined by TypeModule
        encoder = &encode_list(&1, type)
        unquote(__MODULE__).encode(list, oid, encoder)

      other, _, _ ->
        raise DBConnection.EncodeError, Postgrex.Utils.encode_msg(other, "a list")
    end
  end

  def decode(_) do 
    quote location: :keep do
      <<len::int32(), binary::binary-size(len)>>, [oid], [type] ->
        <<ndims::int32(), _has_null::int32(), ^oid::uint32(), dims::size(ndims)-binary-unit(64),
          data::binary>> = binary

        # decode_list/2 defined by TypeModule
        flat = decode_list(data, type)

        unquote(__MODULE__).decode(dims, flat)
    end
  end

  ## Helpers

  # Delegate to the Array extension
  def encode(list, elem_oid, encoder) do 
    Postgrex.Extensions.Array.encode(list, elem_oid, encoder)
  end

  # Delegate to the Array extension
  def decode(dims, elems) do 
    Postgrex.Extensions.Array.decode(dims, elems)
  end
end

There’s a failure in Postgrex.Protocol.fetch_type_info/4. type timemultirange can not be handled by the types module MyApp.PostgresTypes. Here is the TypeInfo struct.

%Postgrex.TypeInfo{
   oid: 1431039,
   type: "timemultirange",
   send: "multirange_send",
   receive: "multirange_recv",
   output: "multirange_out",
   input: "multirange_in",
   array_elem: 0,
   base_type: 0,
   comp_elems: []
 }
tomciopp

tomciopp OP

I’m not quite certain why Postgrex fails when it is given this type, it was my understanding that the matching function should work as the type has “multirange_send” and “multirange_recv”. However, it looks like the library cannot find the corresponding extension for some reason. I have defined the extension as follows in a separate file and it does look like it is getting picked up.

Postgrex.Types.define(MyApp.PostgresTypes, [Postgrex.Extensions.Multirange])
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews