dli
Just saw this blog post by @leejarvis: https://leejarvis.me/posts/2020/phoenix-simplify-nested-resources
The post explains how to resolve nested resources in a central place.
post_comment_path GET /projects/:project_id/posts/:post_id/comments AppWeb.CommentController :index
post_comment_path GET /projects/:project_id/posts/:post_id/comments/:id/edit AppWeb.CommentController :edit
post_comment_path GET /projects/:project_id/posts/:post_id/comments/new AppWeb.CommentController :new
[…] every one of our controller actions are going to need to handle this
project_idparameter.I come from a Rails background, and the canonical way to solve this in Rails is to add a
before_action:
class CommentController
before_action :set_project
# actions
def set_project
@project = Project.find(params[:project_id])
end
end
The author then uses a custom Plug to add the project to conn.assigns:
defmodule AppWeb.CommentController do
use AppWeb, :controller
plug :put_project
def show(conn, %{"post_id" => post_id, "id" => comment_id}) do
%{current_project: project} = conn.assigns
render(conn, "show.html", comment: get_comment!(project, post_id, comment_id))
end
defp put_project(conn, _opts) do
current_project = fetch_current_project(conn.params["project_id"])
assign(conn, :current_project, current_project)
end
end
I am curious about your opinions. How do you handle this in your projects?
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Emily is an Elixir library that runs Nx computations on Apple’s MLX. Install it as the default Nx backend and Nx, defn, Axon, Nx.Serving,...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming









