yukster

yukster

I’m looking for thoughts on how to best handle an expansion I need to work into a current Oban.Pro.Workers.Workflow we have in place to handle order payment verfication and publishing logic:

This OrderCreated workflow has three steps:

  1. job to poll for a record’s status being changed due to separate async webhook job handling that payment event

  2. job for recording some data and updating the order status accordingly

  3. job to publish the order on our internal bus

I’m working on incorporating checking some risk analysis data in certain cases. My first blush approach is adding the “certain cases” config and checking that in job #2. If we think the risk data warrants manual review we stamp that status on the order and kill the workflow. This prevents publishing, which is definitely what we want until the manual review is done.

My thought going forward is to queue a new job that polls for a new notification (another webhook) indicating that the manual check is done. That could even be another Workflow… but it seems like it would be very similar to this current workflow. I wonder if I’m missing something about Oban.Pro.Workfows though? Some way to send it back to the polling step?

I suppose I could use the dynamic appending feature to inject an alternate set of steps into the workflow if we need to do the risk analysis. The original step 2 would stay as-is for the non-analysis case but the risk flow would do a separate step 2 that checks if we need manual review and then start a polling job (ie: with a backoff) until we get the approval wehhook (or it times out).

One question I have that I don’t think the docs cover is can I add a worker dynamically to a Workflow from within a job in the workflow? If so, that would be an alternative to checking the configuration at the time the workflow is queued. Not sure if it would be better though.

I asked this in Slack and someone suggested I look at Oban.Pro.Workers.Chain instead of Workflow and on a quick glance it does look like, in the case of manual risk review, I could snooze the workflow for X amount of time. I’ll take a closer look at that but I still wanted to post this here on the forum, both to get more :eyes: and simply because Parker asked me to. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

As of Pro v1.4 workflows no longer poll. A job with dependencies is scheduled in an “on-hold” state, which is then resolved when all the dependencies are completed. Of course, you can use a snooze loop from your own job and delay downstream jobs in the workflow:

def process(job) do
  if thing_is_finished?(job.args) do
    :ok
  else
    {:snooze, 5}
  end
end

You absolutely can with append/2. It’s designed to be started with a job within the workflow:

def process(job) do
  # do something in the process function

  job
  |> Workflow.append()
  |> Workflow.add(:new_step, WorkerD.new(%{}), deps: [:old_step])
  |> Oban.insert_all()

  :ok
end

Chains are a tool to force an unbounded stream of jobs to run in sequential order, whereas a Workflow is meant for a finite set of jobs. Your use case seems like a good fit for a Workflow.

That’s a good enough reason for me :wink: (seriously, thanks; it’s appreciated)

yukster

yukster OP

Thanks! After further reflection and digging into how the results of the analysis are processed, I’m now thinking I may not need to append a job after all. It seems like this initial workflow can just finish and there are separate jobs/workflows that handle the results of the analysis. But good to know the details you present here. Cheers.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews