Timed out because it queued and checked out the connection for longer than 15000ms

Stacktrace:

01:00:15.016 [error] Postgrex.Protocol (#PID<0.2310.0>) disconnected: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) client #PID<0.26161.221> timed out because it queued and checked out the connection for longer than 15000ms

#PID<0.26161.221> was at location:

:prim_inet.recv0/3
    (postgrex) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:2837: Postgrex.Protocol.msg_recv/4
    (postgrex) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:1879: Postgrex.Protocol.recv_bind/3
    (postgrex) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:1771: Postgrex.Protocol.bind_execute/4
    (db_connection) lib/db_connection/holder.ex:316: DBConnection.Holder.holder_apply/4
    (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:1255: DBConnection.run_execute/5
    (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:1342: DBConnection.run/6
    (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:539: DBConnection.parsed_prepare_execute/5

I have been getting this error in production the most contribution of my prod 5XX.
I tried search around and found multiple solutions but not sure which one to apply and don’t want to break the system trying incorrect solution.

Here is the two solution I found

timeout: 60_000,
pool_timeout: 60_000

And

ownership_timeout: 60_000

Can you please help me by explaining this and which one to use and where.

Thanks a lot.

It’s possible that you didn’t setup the config right. I’ve ran into this issue several times before, and for all of it I didn’t have to adjust the default timeout; It was just because of a bad config.

To start, you can try to manually connect to the DB, with the same parameters as you provided to Ecto, in the CLI.

Hi,
this is our Ecto setup from our app. Maybe it will help you.

config :my_app, Payout.MyApp,
  username: System.fetch_env!("PG_USERNAME"),
  password: System.fetch_env!("PG_PASSWORD"),
  database: System.fetch_env!("PG_DATABASE"),
  maintenance_database: System.fetch_env!("PG_DATABASE"),
  hostname: System.fetch_env!("PG_HOSTNAME"),
  port: System.fetch_env!("PG_PORT"),
  pool_size: 10,
  queue_target: 5_000,
  queue_interval: 2_000,
  timeout: 10_000,
  connect_timeout: 10_000
1 Like

Before increasing those timeouts, have you investigated what operation is taking more than 15 seconds to complete? Usually that’s an indication of database issues, from missing indexes to queries that need optimization.

3 Likes

or extra indexes. I just had a case of a migration with two repeated indexes, and a HUGE payload to insert. The BTREE wasn’t having enough time to reshuffle with every insertion and insertions needed to wait. so TIMEOUT