hassanRsiddiqi

hassanRsiddiqi

Hi,
I’m having hard time parsing a date format: 22-AUG-18 while using {:timex, "~> 3.6"} , solution I have tried:

Timex.parse(“22-AUG-18”, “{D}-{WDshort}-{YYYY}”)
{:error, “Expected weekday abbreviation at line 1, column 4.”}
Timex.parse(“22-AUG-18”, “{D}-{Mshort}-{YY}”)
{:error, “Expected month abbreviation at line 1, column 7.”}
Timex.parse!(“22-AUG-18”, “%d-%^b-%y”)
Timex.parse!(“22-AUG-18”, “%d-%b-%y”)

Thanks in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 5

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’m pretty sure Mshort only parses titlized months, so Jan, Feb, etc…, not things like JAN, FEB, etc…

You can either preprocess it to map the caps to titlecased months, or you can make a new timex tokanizer parser thing to pass in to parse to parse it as capped (or lowercase it all to compare or whatever). :slight_smile:

That’s a really weird format though, without your format string I wouldn’t know if that’s August 22, 2018 or August 18, 2022, lol.

outlog

outlog

"22-AUG-18" 
|> String.split("-")
|> Enum.map(&String.capitalize(&1)) 
|> Enum.join("-") 
|> Timex.parse("{D}-{Mshort}-{YY}")

@OvermindDL1 great to have you back!

hauleth

hauleth

As you went that far with manual parsing, then I would finish it manually instead of using Timex. Especially if you do not use any other Timex features

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Yep, that’s exactly the mapping before hand, quite easy. ^.^

Baby is so busy! Trying to be a toddler already!

Yeah it would be pretty trivial to finish it off by piping into a case and matching on the elements and parsing the strings to integers and such with a map mapping from months to a month integer.

Marcus

Marcus

You can also use datix and tox:

iex> months = [ "JAN", "FEB", "MAR", "APR", "MAY", "JUN", "JUL", "AUG", "SEP", "OCT", "NOV", "DEC" ]
iex> format = "%d-%b-%y"
iex> parse = fn(date) ->
...>   date
...>   |> Datix.Date.parse!(format, abbreviated_month_names: months)
...>   |> Tox.Date.shift(year: 2000)
...> end
iex> date = parse.("22-AUG-18")
~D[2018-08-22]
iex> Calendar.strftime(date, format, abbreviated_month_names: fn x -> Enum.at(months, x - 1) end)
"22-AUG-18"
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews