Tip: Using Ecto transactions in tests

Whenever tests have to interact with an Ecto.Repo, sometimes it’s necessary to test a few different branches or paths that data can take. This can be tedious with a database and may result in “resetting” records so they may be re-tested. Here’s a crude example of “resetting” some data to continue with a test:

test "vaccinate_dog/1 vaccinates dog and creates vax record with the corresponding name" do
  dog = dog_fixture()

# Perform assertions about vaccinations
  assert :ok = vaccinate_dog(dog, "bordetella")
  assert %{id: dog_id, vaccinated: true} = dog = Repo.one!(Dog)
  assert %{dog_id: ^dog_id, type: "bordetella"} = Repo.one!(Vax)

# Reset state for the dog
  Repo.delete_all(Vax)
  dog |> Ecto.Changeset.change(%{vaccinated: false}) |> Repo.update!()

# Performmore  assertions about vaccinations
  assert :ok = vaccinate_dog(dog, "rabies")
  assert %{dog_id: ^dog_id, type: "rabies"} = Repo.one!(Vax)
end

By using Repo.transaction/2, it’s easy to simply roll back a transaction rather than “resetting” anything (assuming that side-effects are not a concern for the purposes of the test.

test "vaccinate_dog/1 vaccinates dog and creates vax record with the corresponding name" do
  dog = dog_fixture()

for vaccine <- ["rabies", "bordetella"] do
    in_transaction(fn ->
      assert :ok = vaccinate_dog(dog, vaccine)
      assert %{dog_id: ^dog_id, type: vaccine} = Repo.one!(Vax)
    end)
  end

defp in_transaction(fun) when is_function(fun, 0) do
    Repo.transaction(fn ->
      fun.()
      Repo.rollback(:ok)
    end)
  end
end

I know that it’s generally best to decouple the DB and the business logic as much as possible, but I have found this to be a useful way to succinctly cover more ground within Repo-related tests.

1 Like

This is usually where I’d stop this test and write another one, TBH. Unless dog_fixture is very expensive to compute, I’d prefer to see duplication if testing with "rabies" vs "bordetella" exposes different behavior.

Also note there’s no support AFAIK for nested transactions, so this won’t work as expected if used with the sandbox-enabled test harness that’s generated by Phoenix.

1 Like

Yeah, admittedly this is not the best example. My actual use case is a module which does some pretty complex query composition using “filters” that can be manipulated recursively by the end user and is generally in the “hard to test” world of high-CC code. I don’t recall the specifics of how our Repo is set up in tests but we use transactions like this quite a bit and they all seem to work fine :grimacing: