TokenOperator - Dependency-free helper most commonly used for making clean keyword APIs to Phoenix context functions

How do I know from that API that list_posts returns structs, but that published_posts returns a query?
I think there should be at least a convention on naming for such context functions, like prefixing query_ for functions that return queries; or the convention that any function different than the generic list_things, get_thing, etc. return queries; is it the latter you had in mind (and thus the pattern then forces the developer to start with a generic function such as list_things, get_thing, etc. in the controller, which he can further customize with the other available functions) ?

Great point. In my usage so far, I’ve been using the same types of terms as had become solidified with my usage of TokenOperator: order_by, filter, and include (though not in my post above). So all of my “queries” are named like “filter_published_posts”, “filter_featured_posts”, “order_by_last_name”, etc. Since I’m thinking about being slightly more explicit, I’m thinking that rather than using “include”, I will use “join” and “preload”. Thus, I’d end up with function names like “join_user_profile” and “preload_post_images”.

It is pretty clear to me by that naming which are queries and which return structs, but perhaps appending something like “_query” would be better.

Or just have queries in a XXX.Queries module

2 Likes

I’ve now moved one project fully to this alternate style and it feels pretty good thus far. It is certainly more verbose in the controller, but very easy to see what is going on.

In the controller…

featured_projects =
  ProjectMgmt.list_projects([
    &ProjectMgmt.order_projects_by_name/1,
    &ProjectMgmt.preload_project_photos/1,
    &ProjectMgmt.preload_project_categories/1,
    &ProjectMgmt.filter_featured_projects/1,
    &ProjectMgmt.filter_published_projects/1
  ])

As opposed to how it is using TokenOperator…

featured_projects =
  ProjectMgmt.list_projects(include: [:photos, :categories], filter: [:featured, :published])

Clearly it is much cleaner in the controller with TokenOperator. Additionally, the concept of “defaults” is built in. Thus, I would have pre-configured list_projects to sort by name as an overridable default.

This alternative route loses the built in defaults, so order_projects_by_name is passed explicitly, but I don’t think that’s so bad. And there is no question of what order these queries will be run.

For more complex queries involving scoping based upon user permissions, I think this alternate method is easier to follow. Suppose I want to scope the rooms that a user can reserve. I was using the following with TokenOperator in the controller…

Inventory.list_rooms_for(location,
  scope: {user, :reserve}
)

That eventually calls a scope function within my context, but there are some gymnastics involved where it isn’t immediately obvious how it gets there.

This alternate method is more obvious in the controller…

Calendar.list_rooms([
  &Calendar.order_rooms_by_name/1,
  &Calendar.scope_rooms(&1, user, :reserve))
])

In practice, I’m hiding that ugly bit of code to run those queries off in a utility:

defmodule Utilities.QueryRunner do
  def run(query, additional_queries) when is_list(additional_queries) do
    Enum.reduce(additional_queries, query, fn additional_query, query ->
      additional_query.(query)
    end)
  end

def run(query, additional_query) do
    run(query, [additional_query])
  end
end

This is then referenced within the context:

alias Utilities.QueryRunner

def list_projects(queries \\ []) do
  Project
  |> QueryRunner.run(queries)
  |> Repo.all()
end

As of now I’m leaning toward this simplified method, but both have their advantages.

3 Likes

I think you’ve seen that I built a library inspired by TokenOperator a few weeks ago.

In my projects, I would write the above in just a few lines, like below, without having to write any queries. The code you show in the controller, including those 5 query functions, is a lot of functions and lines of code. I guess these functions are small and pure, but every time you want to add an order, another preload, etc. you have to write such function, which might get tedious.

ProjectMgmt.list_projects(
  order_by: :name,
  where: [featured: true, published: true],
  preload: [:photos, :categories],
)

Do you see disadvantages doing that? The preload function also knows if it’s better to join the association (one-to-one cardinality) or execute a separate query (one-to-many and many-to-many cardinality).

1 Like

I see an advantage in this: A list of closures can just be applied as is, but there’s no way to control what those functions do. While with a keyword list of atoms ProjectMgmt.list_projects is in control which functionality it supports and which it doesn’t.

Say there are two functions concerning the same schema and a helper to preload a certain association, but the helper should only be allowed to be applied to one of those two functions. With the closures there isn’t that level of control.

2 Likes

Is the library published on github?

1 Like

See

and

2 Likes

@mathieuprog I think using something like QueryBuilder is a valid way to do it and that does some cool stuff in figuring out whether to preload/join, query associated columns, etc. It is just a different take on it.

I originally started down the path of something similar, but ended up with the more abstract TokenOperator (and now tossing around the idea of an alternative method without a package at all) with the following goals:

1. No dependency on an ORM. Unopinionated about whether this is a query or multi or whatever token.
  2. Unopinionated about the language used for interacting with a context (e.g. include, preload, join, paginate, etc.). Use the words that make sense for your app.
  3. Consistency of usage. Do the same thing for the least AND most complex queries. Write them out in the context and then reference them via atoms in the controller. No matter how powerful QueryBuilder (or any opinionated Ecto wrapper) becomes, there are still going to be times when you need to do something more complex than its API supports. You can keep adding features, but at some point it might become so big and complex that it might be easier to just write the queries in the context since Ecto has a great API already. While verbose, they are generally easy to write and I often need those queries anyway for operations within the context.
  4. Flexibility - Ability to not have to need a list_posts and list_published_posts and list_published_featured_posts for every little tweak to a query. This is probably the core thing that TokenOperator, QueryBuilder, and this alternate method all do so it barely needs mentioning here.
  5. Transparency - Easy to see (and change) the queries that are being run. The alternate method I’m talking about here uses direct references to context functions, which doesn’t get any more obvious or transparent. TokenOperator uses atoms and still makes it easy to get at the functions, but with a layer of abstraction that makes it slightly less so. As @LostKobrakai mentioned, passing atoms like in TokenOperator and QueryBuilder allows the context to dictate what queries are made. That has been useful but, in practice, has provided me less value and transparency than I thought it might, which is why I brought up this alternate method.
  6. Also probably goes without saying, but all of these methods are trying to avoid directly interacting with Ecto, which is what contexts are pushing us to do.

As an aside, I considered writing an opinionated Ecto “adapter” for TokenOperator as an example of how to use it. It is made to be the core of higher-level abstractions like QueryBuilder.

Anyway, this is a nuanced thing and I’m trying to tease out some of the differences between the approaches, but I think they are all useful. I’m clearly still undecided on how I want to do it so I appreciate things like QueryBuilder being around as an option.

3 Likes

I think this is a really nice pattern, and might use it (in other contexts than building queries).

I am just a little worried that we do not really have an API here that is easy to document and use. The same goes for TokenOperator actually, as I can add any keyword atoms (as you said, use the words that make sense for your app). This means that we then must rely on conventions (otherwise one dev can use :preload and another dev can use :include for preloading). I’m not sure this is a necessarily a bad thing; I guess it is as it can lead to bugs easier. With an Ecto wrapper like QueryBuilder, there is no need to document all the keywords for every function or rely on agreed conventions between devs, because they are always the same limited set of keyword atoms. Of course it’s limited to building Ecto queries.

In this specific example quoted above, all these function names contain the word “project”; so in this case it’s easy to find the functions “compatible” for list_projects/1; we do not even need to rely on conventions or heavy documentation here as the query function names are self explanatory. Actually would be nice to think about other contexts/examples than query building because we have only one context we base our discussion on :smiley:

In any case I prefer convention on function names shown in your alternative method than the keywords that need to be agreed on and documented in TokenOperator.

1 Like

I can see how documenting and ensuring consistency might be more difficult with this alternate method. For TokenOperator, in practice, I would always lock down the API with wrapper functions as noted at https://github.com/baldwindavid/token_operator#making-it-our-own

Thus, you end up only using maybe_filter, maybe_include, maybe_order_by, etc. and those only respond to the pre-defined atoms of :filter, :include, :order_by, etc.

You can interact with TokenOperator directly, but I would usually suggest writing a simple wrapper around it. It is pretty low-level; so much so that it’s a little hard to explain without writing a higher-level abstraction on top of it as an example. Things like QueryBuilder don’t suffer from that as it is immediately obvious how to use it.

I don’t have a great answer for locking down / documenting the API for this alternate method. Maybe what @chrisjowen mentioned of putting them in a XXX.Queries module helps. It hasn’t been a problem for me yet. I break my contexts into sub-contexts (ex. MyApp.Calendar.Reservations), so they are usually not so large that I need to split them up further.

2 Likes

@mathieuprog - I was thinking of a couple more goals for TokenOperator that I missed…

• Be decoupled from the database - I’d like to avoid leaking the implementation details of “how” to get the data within functions called in the controller. I think that TokenOperator mostly allows for this using words like “include”. However, in my “alternate method” examples it is questionable since I’m using both the words “preload” and “join”. Perhaps the controller shouldn’t care about such things since this could be grabbing data from an external API, flat file, etc.
  • Avoid referencing actual tables and columns in the functions - Making a change to my database should ideally not require a change at the call site within a controller.

Whether you use the term “include” and behind the scenes use Ecto’s preload, or you simply adopt the term “preload” from Ecto doesn’t make a difference. And ofc preloading/including - no matter how you want to call it - applies to whatever data source you use, so there’s no leak here to me.

Regarding “join”, your example showing a usage of “join” is the following:

Maybe you should then write a more specific version of the function that preloads, to one that preloads a profile for a user:

# preloading profiles for a user
def preload_user_profile(query) do
  from u in query, join: p in (u, :profile), preload: [profile: p]
end

# preloading profiles for other entities if needed
def preload_profile(query) do
  from q in query, preload: [:profile]
end

The controller doesn’t have to know about joining (which is specific to databases) anymore; up to the context. If you change your data source, preload_user_profile can simply delegate to the more general preload_profile function if there’s no difference.

I don’t see table and column names; I see struct names and fields, and those are rightly used everywhere, from the models to the plugs to the templates. Let me know if I missed something.

Yep, no problem with the words “include” or “preload”. Moreso that “join” is used and that there needs to be some way to designate whether you want to join or not. I like where you’re going with the concept of using more generalized terms like “preload_user_profile” and “preload_profile”.

I don’t see them directly referenced in TokenOperator or the alternate method, which was the goal.

1 Like

I’ve continued to use the more explicit version passing function references in the controller.

# controller
Accounts.list_users([
  &Accounts.order_users_by_first_name/1,
  &Accounts.preload_user_company/1
])

One of the things I miss from token_operator are the configurable query defaults. I’m experimenting with using defaults in an explicit way. Here is an example for displaying only unarchived users by default:

# controller
Accounts.list_users()
# context
def filter_unarchived_users(query) do
  from u in query, where: is_nil(u.archived_at)
end

def filter_archived_users(query) do
  query
  |> exclude(:where)
  |> where([u], not is_nil(u.archived_at))
end

def list_users(opts \\ []) do
  from(User)
  |> filter_unarchived_users()
  |> QueryRunner.run(opts)
  |> Repo.all()
end

To override the default at the call site, a query that resets where can be passed to the function.

# controller
Accounts.list_users(&Accounts.filter_archived_users/1)

The requirement here would be that the function that resets the default needs to come before any functions that use where. I don’t think that is too much to ask, but is one additional thing to remember.

1 Like

Hello David :wave:
I was wondering if you had any experience using Absinthe and GraphQL.

In Absinthe, when you request some entities, like articles, you can specify arguments. Server-side you implement a resolver to fetch the articles, and the arguments are passed as a map to the resolver, such as:

%{filter: %{"tag" => "Elixir", "category" => "Programming"}}

This map is then typically passed to the context function. This is an example of a context function written from the book:

def list_items(args) do
  args
  |> Enum.reduce(Item, fn
    {:order, order}, query ->
      query |> order_by({^order, :name})
    {:filter, filter}, query ->
      query |> filter_with(filter)
  end)
  |> Repo.all
end

defp filter_with(query, filter) do
  Enum.reduce(filter, query, fn
    {:name, name}, query ->
      from q in query, where: ilike(q.name, ^"%#{name}%")
    {:priced_above, price}, query ->
      from q in query, where: q.price >= ^price
    {:priced_below, price}, query ->
      from q in query, where: q.price <= ^price
    {:category, category_name}, query ->
      from q in query,
           join: c in assoc(q, :category),
           where: ilike(c.name, ^"%#{category_name}%")
    {:tag, tag_name}, query ->
      from q in query,
           join: t in assoc(q, :tags),
           where: ilike(t.name, ^"%#{tag_name}%")
  end)
end

TokenOperator, the method by passing a list of context functions that you showed, and QueryBuilder have their own idea of building the API for context functions, to pass all the different options.

So somewhere, there needs to be a transformation of such a bag of data (the arguments in a map), to the options for the context functions. I am not sure how to proceed with Absinthe yet.

Then there’s the idea of just going the Absinthe way, if adding such a layer seems overhead, but I am not sure that the API as shown above is very flexible. For example, :name is case sensitive or case insensitive? What if I need a :priced_above_or_equal and all the other possible operators, :category is by category name, id, or other attribute?
It relies heavily on documentation.

Hi Mathieu:
I don’t have any experience with Absinthe, but do recall this post from @1player noting a very similar pattern.

It sounds like you’re mostly getting at a common pattern to transform from the context world to the Absinthe world. Could you use a convention of to_absinthe(params) or something?

1 Like

By the way, I’ve continued with the method of passing context functions, but have moved to about as explicit method as you can get. Previously, I was passing a list of public functions that will later be run in succession as if they were piped like so…

# controller

Accounts.list_users([
    &Accounts.join_user_profile/1,
    &Accounts.filter_non_executive_users/1,
    &Accounts.filter_users_by_company(&1, company),
    &Accounts.order_users_by_first_name/1
  ])

# context

def list_users(queries \\ []) do
  from(User)
  |> QueryRunner.run(queries)
  |> Repo.all()
end

# QueryRunner utility

defmodule Utilities.QueryRunner do
  def run(query, additional_queries) when is_list(additional_queries) do
    Enum.reduce(additional_queries, query, fn additional_query, query ->
      additional_query.(query)
    end)
  end

def run(query, additional_query) do
    run(query, [additional_query])
  end
end

However, since all we really want to do is inject into the context query and run as piped, why not just pass an anonymous function that is piped in the first place?

# controller

Accounts.list_users(
  &(Accounts.join_user_profile(&1)
    |> Accounts.filter_non_executive_users()
    |> Accounts.filter_users_by_company(company)
    |> Accounts.order_users_by_first_name())
)

# context

def list_users(queries \\ &(&1)) do
  from(User)
  |> queries.()
  |> Repo.all()
end

This requires no additional code and is more obvious to me anyway. Using fn over capture is arguably more readable, but that just comes down to preference.

# controller

Accounts.list_users(fn query ->
  query
  |> Accounts.join_user_profile()
  |> Accounts.filter_non_executive_users()
  |> Accounts.filter_users_by_company(company)
  |> Accounts.order_users_by_first_name()
end)
1 Like

Isn’t it the case that it can matter where the closure pipeline is “plumbed” when the internal implementation of the streaming is lazy vs immediate and or if the execution of pulls from the stream through the pipeline occurs all on the same processor vs on federated processors?

If so, it matters whether you are specifying the query stages for delegation to a query handler or if you are declaring what processing needs to be implemented and executed at the time of execution of the controller function.

Perhaps where and how the query is specified and executed depends on where query optimization occurs and on how any result set is to be iterated.

1 Like

Hi @lonniev. Welcome to Elixir Forum!

I think there is a good chance I’m not understanding what you are after here, but will just note that I use this pattern with these naming conventions primarily in the construction of single, run-of-the-mill Ecto queries. Typically for list_* (e.g. list_users) and get_*!/get_* (e.g. get_user!) functions, which exist for the majority of the entities in my app (for better or worse). I like the explicitness and maintainability at the callsite even with the verbosity.

For anything more fancy than that, there is a good chance I’ll use a dedicated, obviously named function (e.g. search_*, fetch_*, etc.) or a dedicated cross-context service/use-case module.

At any rate, this is really only a convention of passing a function as an argument to a context function. What you do with that argument inside the function in terms of handling side effects, separate processes, background work, etc. is up to you. The concept of passing a function as an argument may or may not be useful for you. Sorry if I’m completely missing your point here and I would certainly love to know if you think my typical use case here will cause issues for me.

1 Like