foundart

foundart

I have a situation similar to create and insert 2 associated models.

In my case User has_many Others and Others belongs_to User.
I want to insert a user and an Other in one transaction.

I’m doing a put_assoc from User and it works fine. It generates 2 insert statements of course.

My question is: Do I need to wrap the insert in a Repo.transaction? I have been unable to find any documentation that talks about how the inserts are handled. If I did not wrap the insert function in a transaction, would the 2 sql statements be batched in a single transaction by default or would they be done as 2 separate transactions?

  MyModule.Repo.transaction fn ->
    MyModule.Repo.insert(changeset)
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 9

theangryangel

theangryangel

You probably want an Ecto.Multi rather than using transactions directly as you get a bunch of extra stuff that you don’t get with Repo.transaction

foundart

foundart OP

Well, since I don’t know what I get with transactions, I’d really like to understand more about them first, so I can understand what advantages I’m getting with Ecto.Multi.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

In its most simple form you can think of a transaction as a ‘serialized set of operations’ on the database.

I.E. All the operations in your transaction will either all complete, or all fail, and nothing will interfere or run between them that can change your state unexpectedly.

In reality it is far more complex with the database allowing multiple operations on non-conflicting rows and all such, but overall you can think of it that way. :slight_smile:

theangryangel

theangryangel

A transaction is a sequence of operations performed as a single unit of work. Or more simply, if a statement in the transaction fails the previous statements will get automatically rolled back (in Ecto), and no further operations are carried out. If you’re using transactions manually you can perform special behaviours on rollback, if simply rolling back isn’t enough.

Ecto.Multi works hand in hand with Repo.transaction and provides a bunch of useful stuff on top of transactions. i.e. easy inspection and returns, that using Repo.transaction directly you’d probably end up implementing anyway.

foundart

foundart OP

I think I’ve done a bad job of asking my question. I understand what a db transaction is.

What I don’t know is when Ecto applies them automatically and when I need to explicitly declare them.

If I do a single line Repo.insert(changeset) and that change set generates multiple SQL insert statements, will Ecto automatically wrap all those SQL statements in a single db transaction?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yes, you can observe this with debug logging:

iex(5)> %Menu.Item{name: "Bar", price: 4.50, category: %Menu.Category{name: "Foo"}} |> Repo.insert!
[debug] QUERY OK db=0.3ms
begin []
[debug] QUERY OK db=6.6ms
INSERT INTO "categories" ("name","inserted_at","updated_at") VALUES ($1,$2,$3) RETURNING "id" ["Foo", {{2017, 11, 3}, {20, 21, 34, 814485}}, {{2017, 11, 3}, {20, 21, 34, 817077}}]
[debug] QUERY OK db=5.0ms
INSERT INTO "items" ("category_id","name","price","inserted_at","updated_at") VALUES ($1,$2,$3,$4,$5) RETURNING "id" [4, "Bar", #Decimal<4.5>, {{2017, 11, 3}, {20, 21, 34, 834005}}, {{2017, 11, 3}, {20, 21, 34, 834009}}]
[debug] QUERY OK db=0.8ms
commit []

Note the begin and commit lines. Those are the beginning and end of the transaction respectively.

foundart

foundart OP

Ah, yes! Thanks! I totally missed that.

szsoppa

szsoppa

If anyone coming to this topic needs more tips on Ecto.Multi and transactions in general, we’ve written a post about it: How database transactions work in Ecto and why Elixir makes it awesome? :wink:

Zahi

Zahi

Seems like the site moved (your link is broken). Here’s one that works.

Thanks for the article.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

Potions
A new screencast on live LiveView updates with PubSub, the Oban Web dashboard, and smarter retries. Part 2 of 2. Screencast + full walkth...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews