rms.mrcs

rms.mrcs

Hi,

I need to transform a list of numbers into a map where the keys are the indexes and the values are the original values of the list. I’ve managed to do this using the following code:

  def indexed_map(list, index \\ 1, step \\ 1) do
    to_indexed_map(list, index,step, %{})
  end
  defp to_indexed_map([h|t], i, s, acc),do: to_indexed_map(t, i + s, s, Map.put(acc, i, h))
  defp to_indexed_map([], _,  _, acc), do: acc

Basically if I apply this function to

[100, 200, 300]

it will return

%{1 => 100, 2 => 200, 3 => 300}

Is there any way to the same using Elixir’s standard library? I tried Enum.map, Enum.reduce and even Enum.map_reduce but I just couldn’t figure out how to it using them.

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 9

Linuus

Linuus

Something like this should work:

list = [100, 200, 300]
Stream.with_index(list, 1) |> Enum.reduce(%{}, fn({v,k}, acc)-> Map.put(acc, k, v) end)

Or this :stuck_out_tongue:

1..length(list) |> Stream.zip(list) |> Enum.into(%{})
andre1sk

andre1sk

There is prob a better way then this:

  list |> Enum.with_index(1) |>Enum.map(fn {k,v}->{v,k} end) |> Map.new
rms.mrcs

rms.mrcs OP

Thanks.

I always used only this form:

fn(value, acc) -> ... end

How exactly the {v, k} is filled by Elixir like in:

fn({v,k}, acc)-> ... end)

?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out in the docs (is the Enum.with_index function)

rms.mrcs

rms.mrcs OP

Thank you :slight_smile:

Linuus

Linuus

The {v, k} is just a pattern match on the values coming in. .with_index returns tuples of the value and the index.

Like this:

Enum.with_index([1,2,3]) => [{100, 1}, {200, 2}, {300, 3}]

So for each value I just destruct the passed in tuple, like {v, k} = {100, 1}.

rms.mrcs

rms.mrcs OP

Got it :wink: Thanks!

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Or shorter (by actually creating the tuple in-order instead of needing to swap it and not getting the length of a list, which can be O(n) instead of O(1)):

iex> list = [:a,:b,:c,:d,:e]
iex> Stream.zip(Stream.iterate(0, &(&1+1)), list) |> Enum.into(%{})
%{0 => :a, 1 => :b, 2 => :c, 3 => :d, 4 => :e}

An aside, I wish 0.. was a shortcut for (Stream.iterate(0, &(&1+1)), or maybe 0...1 means (Stream.iterate(0, &(&1+1)) like 0...-4 means (Stream.iterate(0, &(&1-4)) or so, ah well I wish, but it does not for now. Hmm, lot of ideas popping into mind for such a syntax, we need a Stream.seq/1.

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

You might like the Sequences Hex package that I made a while back. It defines streams for quite a few common numeric sequences. :slight_smile:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Huh, nice! Not ran across that yet. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews