minhajuddin

minhajuddin

While writing Elixir, you are encouraged to start your pipe chain with a raw value. Credo has a check for this at credo/lib/credo/check/refactor/pipe_chain_start.ex at master · rrrene/credo · GitHub

However, I think blindly applying this decreases the readability of the code. Here are a few examples:

Instances where this rule makes sense

# 1
 list
      |> Enum.take(5)
      |> Enum.shuffle
      |> pick_winner()

#2
      %User{}
      |> User.changeset(%{"email" => "danny@m.com"})
      |> Repo.insert()

Instances where this rule does not make sense

# 3
User
    |> Repo.all
    |> Enum.map(fn(user) -> csv_fields(user) end)
    |> CSV.encode(headers: true)


#4
    20
    |> :crypto.strong_rand_bytes
    |> Base.encode16(case: :lower)

I think the question boils down to whether you are transforming something. In case of 20 |> :crypto.strong_rand_bytes you are not really transforming 20 into bytes and instead getting 20 random bytes. Just because it is an argument to a function doesn’t mean it is being transformed. What are your thoughts on this?

After writing this, I looked if there was similar discussion elsewhere and found Proposal: Ignore refactoring opportunities in pipe chain when using erlang functions · Issue #14 · rrrene/credo-proposals · GitHub

Showing Posts 1 to 7

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I don’t think enforcing that style is sensible. I just loosely follow the rule.
The following example is what I most dislike with it. Strictly following the rule would mean I need to split up arguments, which really belong to each other. There’s not even a hierarchy in those arguments.

SpeedDate.new(user1, user2)
|> SpeedDate.start()
|> SpeedDate.triggerHints()
yurko

yurko

I consider this issue to be the “perfect is the enemy of good” case, this rule clearly has lots of exceptions but it never makes the code really unreadable. For me the idea is to make the code somewhat cleaner and more consistent as well as to avoid thinking about each particular case.

Because of this I just let credo warn me and blindly comply with this rule which lets me concentrate on other things :slight_smile:

minhajuddin

minhajuddin OP

Doesn’t it hamper readability? I find it a bit jarring when I see something like 20 |> :crypto.strong_rand_bytes, it may be because of the way I read the pipe operator, I always read it as transform 20 using this function.

yurko

yurko

It does, your examples are valid. My point is: It’s not always confusing and not in a big way, for me the benefit of having a consistent way to do things outweigh this cost.

How I read it is “pass (result of) 20 to this function” which might be a bit easier on the brain :slight_smile:

easco

easco

I agree with you and I have disabled that check in Credo because I don’t care for the resulting pipelines in many cases.

peerreynders

peerreynders

Depends on your perspective.

I initially didn’t like the style at all and always wanted to start the pipeline with a fully populated function. The way I made my peace with it was to accept that the pipeline is in effect emulating (lambda calculus style) function composition, something that only works when all the functions involved only have a single parameter.

|> Enum.take(5)

is suggestive of a partial application to bring Enum.take/2 down to an arity of 1. In the case of

|>  :crypto.strong_rand_bytes

:crypto.strong_rand_bytes is already at an arity of 1 - so it is ready to be composed as is.

This in effect places more emphasis on the composition than the value that enters it.

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

I agree, I generally disable this check for credo.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews