rvirding
Creator of Erlang
How can I get Elixir to help me with generating match specifications from funs. There is an Erlang function :ets.fun2ms/1 which can do this. Sort of anyway, in that the Erlang compiler actually tranforms this to the match specification at compile time. Can I tell the Elixir compiler to do this tranformation?
There are no problems in using match specifications explicitly in Elixr of course as they are just data structures, it doing the transformation I am after.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
There is no way to have
ets:fun2ms/1in Elixir, as Elixir disallows parse transforms. However you can use macros to achieve the same thing.kokolegorille
There is this old post…
Maybe this package can help?
patrickdm
There is also @ityonemo’s
https://github.com/E-xyza/match_spec
fun2ms and ms2fun for elixir! Advent of code day 22 (remastered)
rvirding
Thanks for the suggestions. Why does the Elixir compiler disallow parse transforms?
The problm is I have another issue than just doing it from Elixir
and that is I want to do it from LFE (Lisp Flavoured Erlang) as well. And there I have records which Elixir doesn’t, and these 2 packages, don’t really support. The LFE compiler makes full use of the Erlang compiler so it just translates all record operations into the record expressions in the Erlang AST.
I am also looking at doing it in a nice way using the modules in Erlang but without parse transforms, which will be the last option.
hauleth
Here is discussion
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/issues/5762
Writing such macro also shouldn’t be really hard there, so it can go that route.