adobroskok

adobroskok

I need help with seem to be a trivial task. My application root is Supervisor and it starts couple of GenServer based workers. I am trying to find a way to catch worker termination reason in my Supervisor, but for some reason I can’t find a way to do this. After reading through Hexdocs I figured out that with GenServer I can define terminate callback in GenServer, but it is not always guaranteed to be called. As supervisor is responsible for restarting terminated children I based on exit reason (:normal, :shutdown,…) I assume there should be a way to catch it.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

idi527

idi527

Maybe you can overwrite handle_info/2 in your supervisor module?

require Logger

def handle_info({:EXIT, pid, reason}, state) do
  Logger.info("A child process died: #{reason}")
  case restart_child(pid, reason, state) do # it's a private function ... that's a problem
    {:ok, state} ->
	  {:noreply, state}
    {:shutdown, state} ->
	  {:stop, :shutdown, state}
  end
end

def handle_info(msg, state) do
  Logger:error("Supervisor received unexpected message: #{inspect(msg)}")
  {:noreply, state}
end
adobroskok

adobroskok OP

I see, I didn’t see any reference to handle_info in Elixir docs, let me see if I can get it to work…

ScrimpyCat

ScrimpyCat

It should be documented in there somewhere. But handle_info is the callback used to handle any non GenServer (call/cast) messages, that the process receives.

voltone

voltone

Supervisors are critical to the application’s reliability, so it is recommended to always use OTP’s standard (proven, simple, robust) supervisors rather than roll your own.

If some part of your application needs to be notified when processes terminate, add a GenServer that uses Process.monitor/1 to track other processes. This is orthogonal to the supervision hierarchy and therefore any issues in your monitoring code will not impact supervision.

adobroskok

adobroskok OP

I gave handle_info a try as you commented in the code restart_child/3 is private, there is restart_child/2 version, but in order to use it I need to maintain child_id somewhere.
Couple of questions though:

  1. Is there any disadvantage of using start_link to do restart?
  2. If I add “supervisor in the middle”, i.e. make my root Supervisor) to start “monitoring” Supervisor that in turn would start GenServer process, if GenServer terminates, “monitoring” Supervisor would receive call in handle_info, perform necessary logging and terminate - causing for the root Supervisor to restart it and in turn start GenServer. Is this reasonable?

Thanks

adobroskok

adobroskok OP

Thanks voltone, I already have in place Process.spawn_monitor to monitor child processes, but I was not sure if this the best way of trapping crashes, I got impression that Supervisor is intended way of handling process exits. Is there some good guidelines on when to use Supervisor and when to use monitors?

adobroskok

adobroskok OP

Thanks ScrimpyCat, I was not aware that Supervisor is GenServer, thanks to this https://medium.com/@StevenLeiva1/elixir-supervisors-a-conceptual-understanding-ee0825f70cbe it is now clear.

voltone

voltone

It depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Trapping exits is a tool, but what is the goal?

If you’re trying to control the lifecycle of the process, by deciding whether to restart it or escalate the error to a higher level supervisor, then that’s indeed the role of a supervisor. In that case you should first check if you can configure the standard supervisor strategies and parameters to achieve the desired behavior.

If you want better visibility into crashes and their reasons, consider using OTP’s built-in SASL module: it can be enabled through your application’s Logger configuration. Or monitor the processes (under a standard supervisor) from another process.

There might be cases where you do indeed need to implement a custom supervisor, but my advice is to make sure you’ve exhausted all other options first.

adobroskok

adobroskok OP

Thanks voltone, I got your point, in my case it is more of error reporting when crash has occurred and ability to log state prior to crash, so I guess use of custom supervisor would be overkill.

peerreynders

peerreynders

It is my understanding that SASL Error Logging will capture the exit reason as part of the Supervisor Report. So it’s a matter of enabling SASL logging and capturing the log with an appropriate backend.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews