naresh

naresh

Hello all, just started learning Elixir & Phoenix. Had a quick question about the table view that is generated by Phoenix to show lists of things. In this view, every row has a “Show”, “Edit” and “Delete” button. What is the best way to replace the “Show” button functionality with a click on the table row?

In other words, “Show” is currently a link <%= link "Show", to: Routes.contact_path(@conn, :show, contact) %> . I want to do the same action when user clicks on the row instead.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

cmo

cmo

You can wrap other elements in the a tag by using a do block.

<%= link to: Routes.contact_path(@conn, :show, contact), class: "h-full w-full ..." do %> 

... inner content ...

<% end %>
naresh

naresh OP

Thanks @cmo, but that would mean wrapping a <tr> in an <a> tag. That seems very unusual markup, I would like to avoid that.

cmo

cmo

You haven’t shown the code you’re looking at so I don’t know what your markup looks like.

I’m suggesting you put a link inside a <td>.

naresh

naresh OP

Hi @cmo, here’s my markup. If I add a link in a , then only the link will trigger the navigation. I would like to trigger the navigation on click anywhere in the row:

<%= for contact <- @contacts do %>
    <tr
      id={Integer.to_string(contact.id)}
      onclick="showContact"
    >
      <td><%= contact.firstName %></td>
      <td><%= contact.lastName %></td>
    </tr>
<% end %>

This is now almost working, except that onclick is not triggering my showContact function. I think I have to use addEventListener.

cmo

cmo

If you put the a inside all the tds and have the a fill the entire space it will give you that behaviour. Otherwise you can do it on the tr with javascript. I imagine you’ll want to pass the contact’s id or something to the showContact though.

<%= for contact <- @contacts do %>
    <tr id={"contact-#{contact.id}"}>
      <td><%= link contact.first_name, to: Routes.contact_path(@conn, :show, contact) class: "css to make it full height & width... display: block?" %></td>
      <td><%= link contact.last_name, to: Routes.contact_path(@conn, :show, contact) class: "css to make it full height & width... display: block?" tabindex: "-1" %></td>
    </tr>
<% end %>
naresh

naresh OP

Yep, that’s the approach I took. Got it to work by adding the script right inside my .heex file instead of app.js. Also onclick never worked. Had to use addEventListener - which makes it more lines of code, but it works!

<script>
var tbody = document.getElementById("contacts-body");
var rows = tbody.getElementsByTagName("tr");
for (i = 0; i < rows.length; i++) {
  const row = rows[i];
  row.addEventListener('click', showContact);
}

function showContact(e) {
  let id = e.currentTarget.id;
  if (id) {
    window.location.href = '/contacts/' + id;
  }
}
</script>
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews