kelvinst

kelvinst

Hey everyone!

Well, we made this lib a while ago and now we decided to finally go out and public with it! It’s a tool for creating and managing multi-tenancy applications using postgres schemas.

https://github.com/ateliware/triplex/

We’ve recently released version 1.1.2 with support for ecto 2.2.0-rc. :slight_smile:

I know there are some other options of libraries for the same purpose, like GitHub - Dania02525/apartmentex: SaaS support for Phoenix + Ecto · GitHub and GitHub - tweag/tenantex: Multi-tenant support for Ecto (Elixir) · GitHub. At the time we wrote this lib, the other libraries were a little bit out of date with their pull requests, didn’t have everything we wanted and, the worst for us, were a little bit intrusive (I’ll talk about it later).

So we decided to write a simple one, and now here we are, another option for you. Here is a list of features we missed on the other libraries:

  • Mix tasks for migrating and rollbacking all schemas
  • Plugs to load and ensure if the tenant is loaded from a param, session value or subdomain
  • A way to infer the name of the tenant from a given struct which represents the tenant on your application
  • Smarter configuration like:
    • Set the default Repo where to execute the tenant management tasks
    • Tenant names that must be reserved, like api or www if you’re using subdomains to load your tenant

There are also some differences in the way the libs handle the queries and commands with the prefix. While tenantex and apartmentex are a little bit intrusive to your Repo or the use of it, on triplex we tried to stay the least intrusive we could.

For example, here is how to make a query applying a prefix from an tenant struct called org on raw ecto:

Repo.all(User, prefix: org.subdomain)

Now the same query using a properly configured triplex:

Repo.all(User, prefix: Triplex.to_prefix(org))

The same with tenantex:

# first you need to change your repo to use their repo not ecto's
defmodule Repo do
  use Tenantex.Repo, otp_app: :your_app
end

Repo.all(User, prefix: org)

Finally, with apartmentex:

Apartmentex.all(Repo, User, org)

The reason behind this decision is simple: being less intrusive makes triplex a lot easier to upgrade for future versions of ecto.

And one last thing: we got our docs a little bit further! That’s a bonus for anyone who wants to use it! :wink:

Feel free to try it and send feedbacks for us!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

l00ker

l00ker

I just did a mix phx.new triplex_test using Phoenix 1.3 and got this error.

$ mix deps.get
Running dependency resolution...

Failed to use "plug" (version 1.4.3) because
phoenix (version 1.3.0) requires ~> 1.3.3 or ~> 1.4
phoenix_ecto (version 3.2.3) requires ~> 1.0
phoenix_html (version 2.10.3) requires ~> 1.0
triplex (version 1.1.2) requires ~> 1.3.5
mix.lock specifies 1.4.3

Can the required plug version relaxed?

kelvinst

kelvinst OP

Yes! For sure, sorry about that! Version 1.1.3 released with a relaxed plug dependency.

And thanks for the report!

l00ker

l00ker

Sweet! I’ll give it a try… thanks! :slight_smile:

BarelyFunctional

BarelyFunctional

This looks great!

If you have the time, would you be able to write a quick article with an example using it?

Thanks

kelvinst

kelvinst OP

Sure! I will take some time this week for it. :slight_smile:

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I just saw the elixir weekly showing of the package and it seems running queries on a single tenant is super slick. How about adding some helpers to allow for cross-tenant queries. I’ve not much experience with postgres, but the following sql seems to allow for that:

SELECT id, 'tenant_01' AS tenant from tenant_01.some_table
UNION ALL
SELECT id, 'tenant_02' AS tenant from tenant_02.some_table

Especially if tenant table’s are simple clones of each other there shouldn’t be any missmatch between the selects.

Edit: Seems this would first need some work in ecto: UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT support · Issue #1549 · elixir-ecto/ecto · GitHub

marciol

marciol

Hi @kelvinst, do you thought about other approaches to multi-tenancy? I totally bought it until read a critical blog post by the creators of a recognized ruby gem that uses schema based multi-tenancy and the possible solution. Would be great to know your opinion, given the effort to develop Triplex.

kelvinst

kelvinst OP

Hi, @marciol!

Well, we’ve bought the idea on a previous project, but didn’t come to the point of having the article’s mentioned issues. But well, I guess that there’s no perfect solution. Everything will have its pros and cons and the post you mention is focused on the cons.

While all of the cons are true (I guess), there are also some pros, and one of them (which made me decide for this technique) is the productivity and code organization. I guess that the pros I had on the start of the project totally compensate some issues running migrations or having to pay some extra money when I have more customers (I guess with more customers I’d have more money too).

The other cons he list on the article are easy to workaround, and he mentions how to do it on the end of the article.

Coming to a conclusion: “there’s no silver bullet” and you must know that before using any tool. The tools are made to solve one or two problems, not all of them. I guess that, once you start having problem with the tool, it can be an indicator you’re using it wrongly or it’s the wrong tool for the job. Using PG schemas to separate your tenants is good in some cases, but for a lot of data in lot of tables and with a lot of changes on the db, there are better alternatives for sure.

kelvinst

kelvinst OP

Yep! It’s actually the only place that needs work, since that to execute queries inside the tenants we don’t use anything from Triplex, and yes a common option on Ecto queries and commands.

l00ker

l00ker

I’m pretty sold on the separate schema multi-tenancy solution. The per table tenant_id column approach (which I’m using in a python app) works well until one of your tenants does something requiring you to restore their data from a backup. I’ll leave that potential nightmare to your imagination to sort out. With separate schemas this problem doesn’t exist. Each schema can be independently restored and/or moved to a different PostgreSQL instance if needed.

Instead of UUID I decided to use a “Snowflake-style system” that uses a PostgreSQL function to generate a big integer which is unique and increments based on time so sorting isn’t an issue. Just use a different shard_id per tenant (even per PostgreSQL instance) to be sure of uniqueness in case you have a need to relocate the schema later. The really cool thing is that given any ID you can extract the shard_id and determine the tenant that it belongs to (if tenant_id == shard_id). This can potentially save some database queries in some cases.

If you’re building a JSON API and using JavaScript on your front-end (SPA etc.) you need to convert the bigint ID’s to strings before encoding to JSON as JavaScript can’t properly handle the bigint ID’s. It will round them causing you fits until you figure that bit out. You can use an Ecto custom type to do the conversion automatically allowing you to pass ID’s as strings or integers in your queries but always get the ID’s as strings in the query result so you can just pass it directly to Poison etc.

These are the “pros” that sold me but admittedly I haven’t had any experience with this solution at the scale of the blog author, but I would think that with a little planning you could utilize several PostgreSQL instances to solve most of those issues since you can at least move the separate schemas between instances etc. I’ve also looked a table inheritance as a potential solution to some problems. Table inheritance is pretty cool on it’s own once you get to looking at it. It just depends on how much complexity you want to introduce in the long run.

@kelvinst - Thank you for Triplex! It’s simple, stays out of your way and gets the job done. :grinning:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews