mhanberg
Expert LSP Core Team
I am suddenly having this issue when installing Erlang with mise (formerly rtx, an asdf alternative that uses asdf plugins).
I am on Ubuntu 23.10 and also use nix+home-manager to manage most of my packages (I still use some from apt).
I was also seeing this on my work macbook the other day when getting home-manager+nix-darwin setup there, but was able to fix it eventually, not really sure how.
Now I’m seeing it on Linux and am very confused.
I was thinking maybe that ncurses wasn’t installed, but I have ncurses6 installed via apt, then I saw something that it doesn’t distribute ncurses5 anymore, which is what asdf-elixir lists as a dependency.
I installed ncurses5 via a nix shell, but get the same result.
Any ideas?
mise ~/.local/share/mise/plugins/erlang/bin/install failed
Downloading kerl...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 74085 100 74085 0 0 453k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 455k
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
100 102M 100 102M 0 0 16.0M 0 0:00:06 0:00:06 --:--:-- 24.1M
checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... (cached) no
checking for tgetent in -ltinfo... no
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
configure: error: No curses library functions found
ERROR: /home/mitchell/.local/share/mise/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_26.1.2/otp_src_26.1.2/erts/configure failed!
./configure: 370: kill: No such process
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 2 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mhanberg
Yes, sorry i should have followed up.
The magic incantation is the following:
Update: on Mac, I had to make sure that openssl was installed via homebrew (I was previously trying to remove homebrew entirely, but nix doesn’t seem to put dev headers in the path) and I had to do the following
s-a-c
Hi @mhanberg,
Did you find a solution / mitigation for this?
I am experiencing the same issue.
tia
~s-a-c