ronscho

ronscho

Hi,

in all my Ash.Resources I define the primary key as follows

attributes do
  integer_primary_key(:id)
  attribute ...

If I run mix ash.codegen <some_name> all migrations where build, but with a uuid foreign key for all defined relations.

Is this a default? Do I have to define the type of the foreign key myself?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kamaroly

kamaroly

Hi @ronscho,

Could you please clarify:

  1. The type of the primary key on the related resources, and
  2. How relationships are defined?

Please share the code if possible.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Relationships — ash v3.29.3 due to compilation constraints, we cannot guess the type of foreign keys based on the types of the destination attributes. It would cause potential compiler deadlocks. Instead, it just defaults to uuid, but you can change that default as shown in the section titled " Customizing default belongs_to attribute type" in the docs I linked.

ronscho

ronscho OP

Hi,

yes I can share an example.

defmodule Project.Domain.Foo do
  use Ash.Resource,
    domain: Project.Domain,
    data_layer: AshPostgres.DataLayer

  postgres do
    table("foos")
    repo(Project.Repo)
  end

  attributes do
    integer_primary_key(:id)
    attribute(:name, :string)

    timestamps()
  end

   relationships do
     belongs_to(:bar, Project.Domain.Bar) 
   end
end

defmodule Project.Domain.Bar do
  use Ash.Resource,
    domain: Project.Domain,
    data_layer: AshPostgres.DataLayer


  postgres do
    table("bar")
    repo(Project.Repo)
  end

  attributes do
    integer_primary_key(:id)
    attribute(:name, :string)
  end

  relationships do
    has_many(:foo, Project.Domain.Foo)
  end
end

I’m not allowed to share the actual code.

I hope this example will clear things up :slight_smile:

ronscho

ronscho OP

Thank you, it’s working perfectly.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews