steffel
I have successfully fine-tuned the BERT model using my CPU. I would like to try fine-tuning using my GPU an RTX4090 with 24GB RAM. I am getting an out-of-memory error. I am a little surprised but I would like to make sure the memory is truly the issue and it’s not a misconfiguration.
The out-of-memory error raised on loading the model
{:ok, model} = Bumblebee.load_model({:hf, "bert-base-cased"}, spec: spec)
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
outlog
have you configured it to run on GPU and not CPU?
eg the appropriate
XLA_TARGET?maybe post more code..
steffel
The code is the one from the example here with the difference I have updated the libraries in order to be able to use cuda 12.
XLA_TARGETis set to cuda120 with my version of cuda being cuda 12.2. Should I downgrade to cuda 12.0? From my understanding cuda120 is CUDA 12.0+ so 12.0 and above.Running
nvidia-smiI can see the GPU memory is filled up.steffel
I have managed to get it to run using
XLA_TARGET=cudaso it will compile it’s own version.To get it to work, the batch size needs to be decreased, on my GPU it’s a batch size of 4.
jonatanklosko
@steffel this is very interesting, the model is like 0.5gb, so loading it should be far from running out of memory. Note that XLA preallocates memory upfront, so your GPU memory usage will bump to a high value, but an OOM is definitely unexpected.
What is the CUDA and cuDNN version you built with locally to make it work?
jonatanklosko
@steffel can you please run with
XLA_ARCHIVE_URL=https://static.jonatanklosko.com/builds/xla_extension-x86_64-linux-gnu-cuda120.tar.gzand see if it makes a difference?steffel
Regarding the versions:
Cuda compilation tools, release 12.2, V12.2.140
Build cuda_12.2.r12.2/compiler.33191640_0
cudnn: v8
steffel
The model loads without any memory issues.
Now when it comes to training the model I am using
mrm8488/codebert-base-finetuned-detect-insecure-codethat is based onroberta-basewhen compiling myself I am not able to push the sequence_length up to 1024 (batch_size=1) with your version it works. I would like to know what is different.jonatanklosko
Oh, so just to make sure we are on the same page, the original OOM was during loading or training?
The archive I sent is precompiled using CUDA 12.1, rather than 12.0. According to Jax README it should still be compatible with CUDA 12.0, in which case we would be fine precompiling with 12.1. I will need to do some further tests.
steffel
First I had an OOM during loading.
I managed to solve it using my own built version of xla extension.
I was able to train using a batch_size=1 and sequence_length=64 or 128.
With sequence_length above 128, I am getting an OOM error during training.
Something like that:
steffel
The OOM while training seems to be back, I am a little confused.
Here is my livemd if that can help.