sreyansjain

sreyansjain

I have a table that uses a hook along with streams.

<tbody id="filterable_data" phx-hook="FilterUpdateDataHook" phx-update="stream">
              <tr :for={{id, b} <- @streams.branches} id={id}>
                <td>{b.idx}</td>
                <td>{b.code}</td>
                <td>{b.name}</td>
                <td>{b.zone}</td>
                <td>{b.region}</td>
</tr>
</tbody>

My understanding is that the updated() lifecycle event of the FilterUpdateDataHook would only get called when the stream (branches) gets updated.

But I see that the updated() life cycle event of the Hook gets called, even if some other assigns in the liveview get updated.

Is this expected behavior. If yes, how can I write a hook that only updates when the stream updates?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

sreyansjain

sreyansjain OP

For completeness here is the code for the hook -

Hooks.FilterUpdateDataHook = {
  updated() {
    let filter_text = document
      .getElementById("filter_input")
      .value.toLowerCase()
      .trim();
    console.log("Filter text: ", filter_text);
    if (filter_text != "") {
      rows = document.querySelector("#filterable_data").querySelectorAll("tr");
      rows.forEach((row) => {
        row_text = row.innerText.toLowerCase();
        if (filter_text === "" || row_text.includes(filter_text)) {
          row.style.display = "";
        } else {
          row.style.display = "none";
        }
      });
    }
  },
};
garrison

garrison

I can’t think of a good answer for this off the top of my head (maybe someone else will chime in), but in the case of the hook you provided everything should be fine because the behavior is idempotent. Right?

If you’re concerned about performance I don’t see it being noticeable unless you have an enormous number of rows there.

BTW, you could just use one selector here:

rows = document.querySelectorAll("#filterable_data tr");
sreyansjain

sreyansjain OP

Thanks for the tip.

No, its not a performance concern. The code is indeed idempotent.
But I was just being curious as to why is this happening?

If someone can share some insight, it would be really enlightening. Thanks.

steffend

steffend

Phoenix Core Team

The reason you see updated called is that for morphdom (which LiveView uses under the hood), the stream element actually changed. When the LiveView renders, the HTML morphdom sees actually does NOT contain the stream elements, because streams are reset after each render. This means that morphdom actually considers the element to be updated and wants to remove the child elements. When it tries to remove them though, LiveView steps in and aborts the removal: phoenix_live_view/assets/js/phoenix_live_view/dom_patch.js at b304ad5e97bfa98d4907afb79f503ccc5dba3cce · phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view · GitHub

You could use a MutationObserver in your hook:

Hooks.FilterUpdateDataHook: {
  mounted() {
    this.observer = new MutationObserver((changes) => {
      // something changed
    });
    this.observer.observe(this.el, { subtree: true, childList: true });
  },
  destroyed() {
    this.observer.disconnect();
  }
}
sreyansjain

sreyansjain OP

Perfect explanation. Thank you so much.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews