DidactMacros
I having difficulty understanding what’s happening here:
slot :inner_block, required: true
def button(assigns) do
~H"""
<button>
{render_slot(@inner_block)}
</button>
"""
end
The expression render_slot(@inner_block) renders the HEEx content. You can invoke this function component like so:
<.button>
This renders <strong>inside</strong> the button!
</.button>
Which renders the following HTML:
<button>
This renders <strong>inside</strong> the button!
</button>
Inner block is not used as a colonned(?) tag. Yet in another example…
Slot attributes
Unlike the default slot, it is possible to pass a named slot multiple pieces of HEEx content. Named slots can also accept attributes, defined by passing a block to the
slot/3macro. If multiple pieces of content are passed,render_slot/2will merge and render all the values.Below is a table component illustrating multiple named slots with attributes:
slot :column, doc: "Columns with column labels" do
attr :label, :string, required: true, doc: "Column label"
end
attr :rows, :list, default: []
def table(assigns) do
~H"""
<table>
<tr>
<th :for={col <- @column}>{col.label}</th>
</tr>
<tr :for={row <- @rows}>
<td :for={col <- @column}>{render_slot(col, row)}</td>
</tr>
</table>
"""
end
You can invoke this function component like so:
<.table rows={[%{name: "Jane", age: "34"}, %{name: "Bob", age: "51"}]}>
<:column :let={user} label="Name">
{user.name}
</:column>
<:column :let={user} label="Age">
{user.age}
</:column>
</.table>
…we have slots in the colon tag form.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
jswanner
inner_blockis basically the “default slot”, its whatever is within<.button>and</.button>that’s not inside a named slot (colonned tag, as you put it)DidactMacros
Opps can’t mark as solved as this is under chat and discussion. Apologies.
EDIT: Thanks Aston
abuislam
You’re on the right track!
inner_blockis the default slot, capturing content inside the component. Named slots like:columnallow multiple pieces of HEEx content with attributes. Hope that helps!