yolo007wizard
Given the following code:
defmodule MathOps do
@moduledoc """
This module provides math operations
"""
@doc """
This function returns the sum of input
"""
@spec add(integer, integer) :: map
def add(a, b) do
%{"result" => Integer.to_string(a + b)}
end
end
I’d like to load the file and turn it into a json spec like so:
{
"module": "MathOps",
"doc": "This module provides math operations",
"defs": [
{
"name": "add",
"doc": "This function returns the sum of input",
"params": [
{"name": "a", "type": "integer", "default": null},
{"name": "b", "type": "integer", "default": null}
],
"return_type": "map"
}
]
}
Any ideas/guidance would be greatly appreciated ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
Most of this information is also used in ExDoc templates (used to generate docs like on
hexdocs.pm) so that tool’s source could be a good place to start:https://github.com/elixir-lang/ex_doc/blob/v0.29.1/lib/ex_doc/language.ex
yolo007wizard
Read up on ExDoc a bit and here is my hacky attempt to get a quick win:
It returns an empty list however
Any ideas how to get a module info dump (hopefully with attribute details) from ExDoc?
yolo007wizard
Did some more reading. ExDoc is using
Code.fetch_docsunder the hood it seems inside defp docs_chunk. Cool I give it a try:Bummer. Well after more reading I find this: Module documentation not immediatelly available after ensuring then module is compiled - #3 by josevalim. So I go down another rabbit hole trying to ensure all modules are done compiling etc get raw beam file etc and it feels overly complicated now. Hopefully someone can provide insight.
tfwright
I wrote docout to accomplish something very similar. Not sure I understand the issues you’ve run into so far, but maybe it (or the source) could help.
yolo007wizard
That looks great! If I can’t find a vanilla Elixir way I’ll give it a go.
In regards to Code.fetch_docs I also found this snippet on the writing documentation page:
So I have to find a way to write the module to beam vm disk, then pass the beam file to Code.fetch_docs/1.
Still trying to reverse engineer Exdoc to see how it does this automagically
josevalim
Any module from dependencies or your
libfolder will have the Docs chunk. You can try any Elixir module to get startedCode.fetch_docs(String).yolo007wizard
From where / how do I run that though? Previous attempts give:
I tried fetch_docs from livebook/local iex/ load + compile module first then fetch etc. I guess I need ELI5
tfwright
When are you trying to call
fetch_docs? You may need to ensure that compilation of your app source has finished. In docout that is accomplished here: docout/lib/mix/tasks/compile/docout.ex at 5a0ebd0a1cbb77bc9d82b6efd2d0d97d24ebb960 · tfwright/docout · GitHubyolo007wizard
Here is local iex:
One thing I have not tried yet is Mix.Task.Compile
yolo007wizard
Geewiz I finally figured it out and as expected it was something simple. I was starting my local iex session by calling
iexdirectly without any params.I started iex as
iex -S mixand it worked perfectly.And now fetch_docs actually works hooray!
And for bonus points I got Exdoc working as well (which provides module specs):
Now I have the info I need to build the json specification