vrod

vrod

I am using timex for date maths and I notice that there are always debug messages when my app starts.

I want to make my app wait until the tzdata has loaded. I see the Tzdata.ReleaseUpdater uses Process.send_after(self(), :check_if_time_to_update, 3000) to do the things that send this debug log (I hope I have located that correctly).

Is it possible to have my app startup wait until tzdata has loaded? Application.ensure_loaded(:tzdata) did not work.

If that is not possible, maybe it is possible to turn off the log messages only for that package. Is that possible? Have other people had this problem? How to solve?

Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 7

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

You can either have a genserver (blocking in init) which periodically polls some state in tzdata which allows it to check if the update is complete, or ignore debug level logs. The former might be problematic if genserver blocks for too long so that its supervisor fails.

First approach (might make the app fail to start and I haven’t actually tried it out):

defmodule TzdataWaiter do
  use GenServer

  def start_link(_opts) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], name: __MODULE__)
  end

  def init(_opts) do
    wait_for_tzdata()    

    :ignore
  end

  defp wait_for_tzdata do
    case Tzdata.zone_list() do
      [] ->
        :timer.sleep(:timer.seconds(1))
        wait_for_tzdata()
      [_|_] -> 
        :ok
    end
  end
end

Second approach (if you just want to make the logs go away):

# if in iex
iex> Logger.configure(level: :info)

# if in config
config :logger, level: :info

Or you can completely purge the debug logs from Tzdata.ReleaseUpdater since it’s using Logger.debug macros (it wouldn’t have worked if it used Logger.log or :logger):

config :logger, 
  compile_time_purge_matching: [
    [module: Tzdata.ReleaseUpdater, level_lower_than: :info]
  ]
ericgray

ericgray

Are you referring to messages like this?

00:23:37.324 [debug] Tzdata polling for update.

00:23:37.611 [info]  tzdata release in place is from a file last modified Tue, 22 Dec 2020 23:35:21 GMT. Release file on server was last modified Sun, 24 Jan 2021 19:35:23 GMT.

If so these messages can be disabled. If you’re running Elixir 1.9 or greater you need to create a config directory with a config.exs file at the root level. Inside the config.exs file add these lines.

use Mix.Config
config :tzdata, :autoupdate, :disabled

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for but this will turn off the debug messages you see when your app starts.

Check out the tzdata lib for more configuration info.

Nicd

Nicd

This will also turn off the tzdata autoupdate mechanism, not just the debug messages.

ericgray

ericgray

Yep, you’re right. Is there a way to keep the autoupdate and disable the messages?

Nicd

Nicd

The first response by @ruslandoga lists several options, I think the first and last one look promising.

vrod

vrod OP

Thank you for the good ideas!

I tried putting Tzdata.ReleaseUpdater.check_if_time_to_update() at the top of my application start. This works for me because I can see that the tz has updated and these log messages appear before any log messages that my app sends.

I also tried Logger.put_module_level/2 and that seemed to work but then I worried that maybe I need to see logs sometimes.

dumadi

dumadi

I keep running into the error when deploying a release on render.com. Any ideas on how to take care of this?

* (ArgumentError) errors were found at the given arguments:
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM  
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM    * 1st argument: the table identifier does not refer to an existing ETS table
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM  
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      (stdlib 3.15.2) :ets.lookup(:tzdata_current_release, :release_version)
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      lib/tzdata/release_reader.ex:74: Tzdata.ReleaseReader.current_release_from_table/0
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      lib/tzdata/release_reader.ex:17: Tzdata.ReleaseReader.simple_lookup/1
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      lib/tzdata/release_reader.ex:9: Tzdata.ReleaseReader.zone_and_link_list/0
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      lib/tzdata.ex:61: Tzdata.zone_exists?/1
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      lib/timezone/database.ex:36: Timex.Timezone.Database.time_zone_periods_from_wall_datetime/2
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      (elixir 1.12.2) lib/calendar/datetime.ex:623: DateTime.shift_zone_for_iso_days_utc/5
Dec 5 10:30:29 PM      (elixir 1.12.2) lib/calendar/datetime.ex:1384: DateTime.add/4
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews